best top handle chain saw?

philip2011

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be as happy with a Husky as a Stihl. Both are about as good as you can get.

@WoodEd- all this talk of tickets, I recall a thread not a great time ago when you were being chastised for using an 088 with not tickets... :001_tongue::blushing:

I bought an Echo topper two weeks ago from a local dealer. I don't have any tickets. It will come in right handy for when I undercut you lot doing conifer hedge reductions :thumbup::lol:

• 2 weeks later...
All types of power saw are dangerous, there was a guy who lives near me a couple of years ago, trimmed the top of close boarded fence with a skill saw.

Saw kicked ran across his face, took out an eye cut through his cheek bone.

Electric circular saws can be bought by anyone, next time you go in a joiners shop, spot how many digits are trimmed or missing.

I do find it a little strange that is harder for me to buy a top handled saw, than to buy a shot gun.

There will always be accidents with chainsaws top or rear handle, usually it is a stupid mistake, tiredness lack of concentration. Should the sale of all chainsaws to uncertified users be banned? If so where do you stop, should all power tools be only sold to and used by certified users?

Electric planers create their fair share of carnage, I take more care using a jointer planer than a chainsaw, and pushing wood through a large band saw makes me concentrate.

H-A

i am in college and only training probably done 100hrs with a chainsaw and about 2hrs with a planner. have never had an accident with the saw but managed to take the pad off a finger with a planner it wasnt much skin but for a £30 tool its more damage than i would like/expect

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Arbtalk mobile app

i am in college and only training probably done 100hrs with a chainsaw and about 2hrs with a planner. have never had an accident with the saw but managed to take the pad off a finger with a planner it wasnt much skin but for a £30 tool its more damage than i would like/expect

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Arbtalk mobile app

Ouch, I modified a finger with my electric hand plane, now much more careful, you live and learn.

H-A

I put a 1/8" drill through my left pinky and out the other side. Now we have petrol and battery powered tools you can mutilate yourself in totally new locations well away from electrical sockets. More people are injured with hammers than chainsaws is a statistic I once read and I have a black and blue thumb to testify to that but I would think you stand more chance of healing from a bruise than growing a limb back. My little Chinese top handle was bought to do a job and will get used again some time and it's not £500 sat doing nothing it was less than £100, just the cost of a good night out for some or a cheap night out for others.

I put a 1/8" drill through my left pinky and out the other side. Now we have petrol and battery powered tools you can mutilate yourself in totally new locations well away from electrical sockets. More people are injured with hammers than chainsaws is a statistic I once read and I have a black and blue thumb to testify to that but I would think you stand more chance of healing from a bruise than growing a limb back. My little Chinese top handle was bought to do a job and will get used again some time and it's not £500 sat doing nothing it was less than £100, just the cost of a good night out for some or a cheap night out for others.

seconded on the cheap chinese top handle. if the original poster is after a saw as a beginner then the <£100 top handle is way to go.

The OP was after the best top handle chainsaw, so the Chinese one is defo not the way to go.... It was before Xmas and I'm sure he has one now. Any new tree surgeon out there looking for the best top handle saw should not look at anything other than the Husky T540 or the Stihl MS201T, these are the best and you can easily source parts, chains, etc...

My little Chinese TH Saw has paid for itself. Once I had set it up and have now got used to how it works, really worth the £70 I paid for it.