The great big "Profession/Professional/Professionalism" debate.

Andy Clark

I think someone who takes time out to study his trade ( very few do ) and gain extensive knowledge, whether they back that up with a piece of paper to say they have done it or not should be classed as professional.

Trees, rigging, forces, dynamics, diseases, treatments, diagnosis, mycology etc etc, take a lifetime to learn, to say someone isn't a professional , just because they don't have formal qualifications is quite a bigoted point of view

Totally agree with you Dean.

I have quite a library building up. I treat tree with great respect. I try to increase my knowledge through self-study (which includes Arbtalk), CPD courses and back it up with the odd exam.

Don't know if I would call myself a professional just yet as I know that there is a massive amount still to learn but i am at least heading in that direction.

I see so many that start up in business that have just finished their year at college (and/or an intensive course to get the NPTC's) that portray themselves as professional and are very clearly not.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe its because they only do tree work, many Co's are landscapers who also do tree work.

Like us, who offer more than just tree work and therefore are rarely short of a coin to finance shiny new toys rather scratching around with 10year old chippers and beaten up trannies.:001_tt2:

Quoting the Oxford Dictionary:

"1relating to or belonging to a profession:

young professional people

worthy of or appropriate to a professional person; competent, skilful, or assured:

his professional expertise

their music is both memorable and professional

2engaged in a specified activity as one’s main paid occupation rather than as an amateur:

a professional boxer

informal, derogatory habitually making a feature of a particular activity or attribute:

a professional gloom-monger

Noun

a person engaged or qualified in a profession:

professionals such as lawyers and surveyors

a person engaged in a specified activity, especially a sport, as a main paid occupation rather than as a pastime:

his first season as a professional

a person competent or skilled in a particular activity:

she was a real professional on stage" Unquote.

Excuse the poor formatting.

If you look at the definition of the word itself, then you are professionals. All the rest is just argument for arguments sake.

A tradesman, blue-collar, white-collar worker are just other ways of defining what kind of worker you are.

I don't believe anyone should undermine your abilities, skills or professional competences for the sake of a word. I was professional aircrew in the RAF for 25 years. I consider my approach to arb work to be no less professional than what went before. My experience level in the profession is less than others, of course. But I have undertaken sufficient training to approach each job in a professional and considered manner.

Adding in degrees/certificates in related subjects will only improve that professional approach.

Don't do yourselves down, be proud of what you achieve.

Tony, I consider myself to be one, don't care what anyone else thinks ,I have worked hard from the gutter to now, tools to pen, AA I'm happy with that interpretation, of me now ,a working class acknowledgment, that's how I interpret it. M.Arbor.A That's as close as I will probably get, but that's OK, Insurance company's happy with it and I also get involved with the odd expert witness stuff, in fact lots of different clients ask advice and pay well for it , you never stop the process of learning and it took me 6 years of adult education including a stint at university , its been hard work and cost a lot of money but at least now having semi downed the tools I can derive an income using my brain and a pen. In my view knowing you I would consider you worthy of an Honorary award, based on that you are a distinguished individual who merits special recognition for your genuine achievement in the field of Arboriculture, one day I'm sure you will achieve recognition , but remember you heard it here first from me . :thumbup: forget the negativity resonating from this thread, we should all strive to better ourselves . :thumbup1: Nothing more than a skilled laborer, I think not.

Thats quite a compliment there Jesse:blushing:

Sadly of late I've just about given up so think I really don't deserve any recognition, reserve it for lifetime efforts.

Ive got a big personal plan in action at the moment, a bigger ambition even than my previous goal of a unique piece of research. Im going to Bulgaria on thursday to view properties where I can be as self sufficient as possible, pollards and grazing, restoring a dying lifestyle in one of the places its disappearing from last. So recent is the decay of this lifestyle the rural properties that are now being abandoned are still set up just a little overgrown and uncared for.

I am very much looking forward to simple way of life in an almost unspoilt and pristine habitat, a whole new ecosystem to learn about and discover, where my skills will actually help hold on to a way of life that has basically been lost to a corporate lobbyist agenda.

Moving to such a poor country will see me having the time and the resources to truly get to grips with tree ecosystems.:001_cool:

Its all well and good talking about all these things but sometimes you just have to walk the walk and set the example!

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

Sadly of late I've just about given up so think I really don't deserve any recognition, reserve it for lifetime efforts.

Ive got a big personal plan in action at the moment, a bigger ambition even than my previous goal of a unique piece of research. Im going to Bulgaria on thursday to view properties where I can be as self sufficient as possible, pollards and grazing, restoring a dying lifestyle in one of the places its disappearing from last. So recent is the decay of this lifestyle the rural properties that are now being abandoned are still set up just a little overgrown and uncared for.

I am very much looking forward to simple way of life in an almost unspoilt and pristine habitat, a whole new ecosystem to learn about and discover, where my skills will actually help hold on to a way of life that has basically been lost to a corporate lobbyist agenda.

Moving to such a poor country will see me having the time and the resources to truly get to grips with tree ecosystems.:001_cool:

Its all well and good talking about all these things but sometimes you just have to walk the walk and set the example!

That's a ballsy step Tony. I wish you the very best.

Some of my neighbours are from Bulgaria. Very nice people - hopefully they are all the same.

Ed

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

You have it Tony, I men't it, and lucky you, its great to see a new chapter develop in your life, world wide web, you will never be far away. :thumbup1: and Arbtalk is a hard one to leave alone. :lol:

• 7 months later...