What is experience??

JLA Arborists

Sad to see machine Operators getting a hard time, when there should be healthy respect for anyone who is proficient at their chosen work.

Purely from a Machine Operating perspective, usually if you can't do the basics from scratch with minimal tuition on something like a Mini Digger in 4hrs then it won't be for you? I'd expect you to be scratching about, loading dumpers safely and the like by then?

From then on my perspective has always been it's only approx 30% of how you actually 'Drive' the machine the rest is knowing the work to get the best from that machine in the task given that you then become an Operator?

The simple fact there are so many variables makes it something that you should still be learning every day, and if you think you know it all that's time to hang your boots up you'll start to be a danger to everyone?

The Arb world must have it's challenges and things you guys look/aspire towards, and there was a very good point raised that sometimes you have to change your surroundings to get outside the limited circle of skills you're perhaps in at present to gain more?

I've had to do this several times on machines, I wanted to move onto other machines and gain more skills with perhaps bigger challenges and it's helped build me into what I'd consider an Experienced Operator?

Please don't just judge machine operating by jumping on that Mini Digger and doing a bit? Just as you have your challenges, I doubt you'd be ready to use a 20 tonne Rubber Duck on a 6 metre deep sewer cut down a high street just yet?

My own view is age is no demonstration? I've seen fantastic young machine operators and plenty of old guys who just want to fill the seat and went past any interest in learning years ago.

I'll take someone with more than just the basics, probably a couple of years? But what I want to see is that willingness to learn and the standard they want to achieve?

You will always be a reflection of what you surround yourself with? Look around your firm and ask yourself when was the last time we looked at doing something different, do you all attend Industry shows, when was a new piece of kit last tried out, who's just gained a higher qualification etc etc? If it's same old, same old you may want to start to broaden your horizons?

Respect to all you guys I certainly can't climb a tree from a Lever Puller!!:biggrin:

Eddie.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we confusing "skill" with "Professionalism", I don't think they are the same.

I've met a great many professionals with very little if any skill.

I like to think that when it comes to tree work I have some skill, but I'm not to huge up on being called a professional, although its how I earn my keep, so by some measures I must be.

In most occupations there are those with real skill, when you come across one they are a pleasure to watch. I have a friend who has been operating machines for decades, I can watch him working for hours, the digger becomes an extension of him. He was skidding out some timber for me on a steep, greasy bank, the tractor slid round and would have gone over, he just spun it back round with no fuss or drama, the lads working with me were amazed.

Are we confusing "skill" with "Professionalism", I don't think they are the same.

I've met a great many professionals with very little if any skill.

I like to think that when it comes to tree work I have some skill, but I'm not to huge up on being called a professional, although its how I earn my keep, so by some measures I must be.

In most occupations there are those with real skill, when you come across one they are a pleasure to watch. I have a friend who has been operating machines for decades, I can watch him working for hours, the digger becomes an extension of him. He was skidding out some timber for me on a steep, greasy bank, the tractor slid round and would have gone over, he just spun it back round with no fuss or drama, the lads working with me were amazed.

:lol:sorry wrong thread :lol:

Having been climbing full time for almost three years I would say that I'm fairly proficient BUT there are still so many things I haven't encountered and had the experience of dealing with. I started as the main full time climber for my firm after only a couple of days ground work experience (literally two days). I think being Thrown into the deep end some times has its benefits however looking back in this circumstance it's not the case. Three years on if presented with a task then nine times out of ten I can handle the situation in safe manner and get home to dinner each night I might not be the quickest and there will always be different ways of handling it. So in short yes I think that five years is a minimum time to achieve both experience and proficiency. For my self I have a lot of the correct areas but lack in others so the next two years will be spent combating those points.

Perhaps you need to explain why you ask. Are you young and inexperienced but feel you are very able or are you thinking of employing someone.

I ask as I have not long got my tickets, however I have been doing groundwork for years on and off.

I understand I won't be an experienced climber yet (I plan on climbing at weekends to hone my skills) but as a groundie with experience I was trying to ascertain if I could be called experienced.

Also if I did set up what I would look for, time / ability

Sad to see machine Operators getting a hard time, when there should be healthy respect for anyone who is proficient at their chosen work.

Purely from a Machine Operating perspective, usually if you can't do the basics from scratch with minimal tuition on something like a Mini Digger in 4hrs then it won't be for you? I'd expect you to be scratching about, loading dumpers safely and the like by then?

From then on my perspective has always been it's only approx 30% of how you actually 'Drive' the machine the rest is knowing the work to get the best from that machine in the task given that you then become an Operator?

The simple fact there are so many variables makes it something that you should still be learning every day, and if you think you know it all that's time to hang your boots up you'll start to be a danger to everyone?

The Arb world must have it's challenges and things you guys look/aspire towards, and there was a very good point raised that sometimes you have to change your surroundings to get outside the limited circle of skills you're perhaps in at present to gain more?

I've had to do this several times on machines, I wanted to move onto other machines and gain more skills with perhaps bigger challenges and it's helped build me into what I'd consider an Experienced Operator?

Please don't just judge machine operating by jumping on that Mini Digger and doing a bit? Just as you have your challenges, I doubt you'd be ready to use a 20 tonne Rubber Duck on a 6 metre deep sewer cut down a high street just yet?

My own view is age is no demonstration? I've seen fantastic young machine operators and plenty of old guys who just want to fill the seat and went past any interest in learning years ago.

I'll take someone with more than just the basics, probably a couple of years? But what I want to see is that willingness to learn and the standard they want to achieve?

You will always be a reflection of what you surround yourself with? Look around your firm and ask yourself when was the last time we looked at doing something different, do you all attend Industry shows, when was a new piece of kit last tried out, who's just gained a higher qualification etc etc? If it's same old, same old you may want to start to broaden your horizons?

Respect to all you guys I certainly can't climb a tree from a Lever Puller!!:biggrin:

Eddie.

Eddie a skilled operator is a pleasure to watch as is a confident, proficient and experienced tree man.

As Steve pointed out, a non climber questioned then almost poo poo'd the opinions of experienced members.

I would never dream of going on http://www.diggertalk.co.uk. Joining up, then implying on a thread there that the people with experience had their heads up their Harris'. Or that I would have it macked in a few weeks or months.

It takes time to be good at everything and whatever the discipline try and work with as many quality people as possible. Eyes and ears open at all time and soak up the experience!