Advice wanted regarding firewood production.

HandyAndy

Hello all.

I'm thinking about going into the firewood business as a sideline to my farming through the winter. First of all, is this a crazy idea?

My thoughts were to acquire timber and split it with the intention of marketing it for next year.

Iv got space available should I want it and could start taking timber immediately.

At the moment I don't have any supply of wood and was wondering what is the best way to go about this?

Iv seen various websites offering timber 'roadside' for varying amounts of money per ton. But knowing very little about it makes this all quite confusing. Are there better and cheaper ways of getting timber?

This isn't something I want to rush into and lose a load of money so any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Hello all.

I'm thinking about going into the firewood business as a sideline to my farming through the winter. First of all, is this a crazy idea?

My thoughts were to acquire timber and split it with the intention of marketing it for next year.

Iv got space available should I want it and could start taking timber immediately.

At the moment I don't have any supply of wood and was wondering what is the best way to go about this?

Iv seen various websites offering timber 'roadside' for varying amounts of money per ton. But knowing very little about it makes this all quite confusing. Are there better and cheaper ways of getting timber?

This isn't something I want to rush into and lose a load of money so any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Andy.

Without knowing what kit you have its hard to say . Do you have a processor or the other end of the scale a saw and an axe ? What I would say is the margins are tight so you need the upmost efficiency .

Thanks for the reply.

At the moment kit is limited, saws, axes and such. But being on a farm I have access to tractors, trailers, telehandler etc... It did cross my mind to get a splitter to run on the tractor, but again, I don't want to spend the cash if the return is slim?

Basically I'm after a boost in earnings over the winter so if I can cover costs and my own time I'd be happy. I'm not looking to make a career out of logs, more of a supplement if that makes sense?

Thanks again, Andy.

We have a little sideline in logs on the farm. As said find out what the going rate for logs is locally and if possible try to find out how dry they are. If you have lots of chaps pushing out wet wood cheap and you are intending to do a proper job of drying you may well be able so sell dry logs for a fair bit more. I know I am 1/3 more than one local seller and we have no problem getting customers. As for kit it all depends how big a sideline you plan. I started with a saw, saw horse and axe but soon needed to mechanise to save the body and time. It wont make you fortune but it earns a few quid over the winter.

If your buying wood in you may be looking at between £25-40 per processed m3 at your end (pending species, vat, haulage distance etc). Then you have factor in your time. fuel for machines, chainsaw chains, files, chain oil, etc. At the very least investment in a hydraulic splitter is essential I would say, so you may need to invest a grand or so in something powerful and efficient. Then you have to consider delivery methods for the finished product and all the associated cost with that. Not too mention depreciation of equipment.

Another issue you may not have considered is time !!.

The firewood season kicks off properly in early September, at that time you will up to your backside with combining and autumn cultivations. Last thing you will want is the phone ringing off the hook with firewood orders that need delivering unless you have a delivery driver.

Mind you if you don't start selling till November you should get a better price as the cheapo boys have mainly sold out.

A

Another issue you may not have considered is time !!.

The firewood season kicks off properly in early September, at that time you will up to your backside with combining and autumn cultivations. Last thing you will want is the phone ringing off the hook with firewood orders that need delivering unless you have a delivery driver.

Mind you if you don't start selling till November you should get a better price as the cheapo boys have mainly sold out.

A

I have this exact issue, phone went mad this sept with firewood orders. And I had to keep putting people off till cultivating and drilling was more or less done. Luckily we had a mild sept and nobody minded, but it cause me a lot of stress and worry juggling it all from a tractor cab!