All kit stolen

Shire-Forestry

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are all quick to blame the police but how many of us make their job easier by marking our saws to make them easily identifiable? I haven't but its something I will be doing...

Perhaps we should get political and get a campaign going to highlight the problem to the powers that be, Arbtalk has a lot of members now, maybe we could put that to good use?

On a lighter not. Quite recently a farmer friend of mine in Cumbria that has a friend in the form of a big black and tan hound. My experience of this hound is to not get out of my car until he is supervised enough to prevent me being its lunch! The hound as hero of the moment cornered two of thieves in the farm outbuildings. My friend asked them to sit down and wait for the police or he would let the dog have (eat) them. On this occasion they chose to sit down and wait for the police! Pity really as this particular hound would probably have put them off repeating the offence. (or got himself shot in the process)

Same hound caught a poachers dog that had caught a deer recently... on this occasion the (town) police just didn't understand the nature of rural crime. It was really difficult to convince them that to take the dog away was needed and that the poachers coming back for it would pose a risk to his family. Eventually they agreed but...

Take care out there

David

We are talking about professional thieves, this is how they make a living in much the same way as we do by grafting every day, my only advice would be, if you have your saws,chipper etc with you on the way home and have a dodgy vehicle behind you don't go home, make a detour until youv lost them, because as soon as they know where you keep your gear they will hit you. Its a sad state of affairs but that's life:thumbdown:

An old trick used by the IRA was to go round a roundabout a couple of times if they suspected they were being followed.

Worth doing if you suspect you have a tail following you to your lock up :thumbup1: