Hiring out woodmizer WITHOUT operator- your thoughts please...

Mobile-sawman.

£500 per week is very reasonable and cheap - especially with a days tutorial.

Round here you can pay £500 per day for a Woodmizer and operator.

How much are the blades?

And how long do they last in clean timber?

I think my blades are £30 and last about 2 hrs which does not sound a lot but if it takes a minute per cut thats 120 cuts. On the the other hand some of my blades last a few minutes :001_rolleyes: I have found someone local who will sharpen and set for £8

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice stick of oak or ash worth £150 for firewood or £500 if you turn it in to planks or posts.

Thanks Steve, is that £500 once dried or straight after planking ? And where do you market it ? We are in Suffolk and manage 120 acres of mainly ash woodland and rather than burning it all would be nice to see it used.

I would not ever rent out my mill. I've only ever let one person take the helm for a few cuts and that was after a huge amount of time with him watching.

A mill's accuracy is all dependent on set up and careful operation. It only takes one clout of the guide arm to at best knock the alignment way out or worst, bend the guide arm or twist the head rig. It only takes one roughly loaded log to at best bend the back stops or worst bend the frame.

Anyone can cut timber on a bandsaw mill, but if you want to provide the best quality, best cut timber, you have to be very protective of your mill. A day's tutorial is not going to make someone a competent saw miller, and the risk of them damaging the cornerstone of your livelihood is not worth risking.

Jonathan

A few more points being raised- good.

Blades cost me £16.50 each to buy at the mo, resharp is around £10.

Each blade has an average life of 2000 board ft, depending on what you are cutting.

As for timber value- I recently cut a 22" stem into 2" slabs (8ft long) and they went for a bar top london at £80 per slab! so, worth a hell of a lot more as timber! also, I hate to see good timber go for firewood. ( I just sell the offcuts as firewood)

Cutting into slabs is also a lot quicker than ringing/splitting/waiting to dry!

Thanks Steve, is that £500 once dried or straight after planking ? And where do you market it ? We are in Suffolk and manage 120 acres of mainly ash woodland and rather than burning it all would be nice to see it used.

Thats the clever bit cutting it with skill, drying, storing and finding a buyer for it all of which I still need to learn. I am a newbie Jonathan has the experience.

Evening all... As the title suggest, I am thinking of starting to hire out my woodmizer for like minded arb type peeps so that they can mill stocks of timber they may have in the yard, maybe to try a mill before they go and buy one or even if they just fancy "having a go" with a new toy....

This is due to the fact that if I have other work on the go, then the mizer is just sat in the workshop not earning its keep. Also, for people like your good selves the cost of a mill and operator could be a little off putting and negate the benefits of milling timber rather than just logging it for firewood (criminal in my opinion!) I would love to see more trees put to good use!

I already have a couple of clients who hire it without operator, but I know and trust them to look after my machine.

so, my question is- good idea or bad idea? do you think people would wreck the mizer or treat it as there own?

I am asking your opinion because YOU would be the type of people I would be aiming it at......

TOM.

i would go with what tom said go with your machine show them how you expect it to be used/ looked after i think you will know in your heart if there sound or not maybe have a deposit or document draw up or terms and conditions have it signed that they understand if it's abused they get the bill. having excavators myself i will not let them leave the yard without me as a driver or the few people i trust to go with it no self drive it breaks my heart when you see hired in machined getting hammered by untrained monkeys :thumbdown:.

SOLD! I will book you in, put the kettle on! :thumbup:

:biggrin:

Yes I'm genuinely interested:thumbup1:

Whats the maximum size it will cut? what sort of quantities would it be realistic for a novice such as myself to cut?

I would start putting some of my better timber to one side (most of my timber is sold by the arctic load) and then hire your machine once I had enough to warrant the hire.

For me it would be to produce timber for my own use, fencing, sheds, etc.

Whats the maximum size it will cut? what sort of quantities would it be realistic for a novice such as myself to cut?

I would start putting some of my better timber to one side (most of my timber is sold by the arctic load) and then hire your machine once I had enough to warrant the hire.

Fence from oak. Fence for life :thumbup:

Home at last, what a day!!

Maximum cut is 700mm, I generaly stay around the 600mm (2ft) mark.

(anything bigger I break down with chain mill beforehand)

As for quantities- it depends on what you are cutting into realy- for posts/planks I normally allow 30 mins or so per log at 8-10ft long.

On another note....what timber do you get hold of? I would be more than happy to do a deal where I take part (or even full) payment in timber if that suited both of us.......:thumbup1:

Your not a million miles from me... my yard is in Ramsbottom near bury. I would come over for a visit/brew and have a proper chit chat if your deffo interested.........