New Scrap Metal laws

chopperpete

But in this context it's the law to produce proof of address and identity to sell scrap to a merchant. Once you have done this once you no longer need to produce it. They should have it on record. I just have a fob on my keys which is scanned every time I take a load in.

Our local scrap yard needs a utility bill and photo id every time I go in. They have known me 30 years my kids go to school with theirs. They are doing as they are told by the complete bunch of idiots in white hall. The country has completely lost the plot and soon will be run by young unskilled university educated idiots with a degree in health and safety laws. :biggrin:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our local scrap yard needs a utility bill and photo id every time I go in. They have known me 30 years my kids go to school with theirs. They are doing as they are told by the complete bunch of idiots in white hall. The country has completely lost the plot and soon will be run by young unskilled university educated idiots with a degree in health and safety laws. :biggrin:

Having been that "unskilled university educated idiot with a degree in health and safety laws" I have to struggle so hard not to let my mouth operate before my brain has engaged when dealing with current unskilled managers. I feel like a complete twit (mildly put) when I bump into those experienced folks I worked with as a student. I use European metal recycling in Worksop. Mainley for old rabbit fencing. They take scans of your documents and have a file bla bla bla. Perhaps your chap doesn't have the tech as an independent so needs it every time? (Looking at calodonian forestry's website, this could get expensive).

Having been that "unskilled university educated idiot with a degree in health and safety laws" I have to struggle so hard not to let my mouth operate before my brain has engaged when dealing with current unskilled managers. I feel like a complete twit (mildly put) when I bump into those experienced folks I worked with as a student. I use European metal recycling in Worksop. Mainley for old rabbit fencing. They take scans of your documents and have a file bla bla bla. Perhaps your chap doesn't have the tech as an independent so needs it every time? (Looking at calodonian forestry's website, this could get expensive).

No I think it is simper than that. Once scanned in how do they know its you if you dont show photo id ea time. They are not a small independant and have many staff who wont know everybody. I dont understand what you are trying to say in the rest of your post I suspect your thinking at a higher level than me. Thats not meant to sound sarcastic or offensive your dealing with a qualified engineer with 30 years experience who was trained a different way to you. Most of the engineering sites I visit are controlled by people who drove a minibus last week now they are head of facilities after being on a weeks course. I served a 4 year apprenticeship 25 years ago and am learning still every day.

It's not a requirement to carry an ID, but:

An establishment such as a supermarket (or indeed a scrap yard) may (and in this case must) refuse to trade with you if you cannot provide one.

For example if I were to buy a bottle of whisky at the local, they'd have to ask me for my if on account of my youthful looks (honestly, I look that young....) even though I have been of legal drinking age for a while.

If I cannot produce one, they must refuse to sell.

So though it is not a legal requirement to carry one always, it can be legally required to produce one.

Its not "a legal requirement" to produce ID, but you may not get served with out it.

No I think it is simper than that. Once scanned in how do they know its you if you dont show photo id ea time. They are not a small independant and have many staff who wont know everybody. I dont understand what you are trying to say in the rest of your post I suspect your thinking at a higher level than me. Thats not meant to sound sarcastic or offensive your dealing with a qualified engineer with 30 years experience who was trained a different way to you. Most of the engineering sites I visit are controlled by people who drove a minibus last week now they are head of facilities after being on a weeks course. I served a 4 year apprenticeship 25 years ago and am learning still every day.

I'll pm you, save a lengthy explanation.

As I was coming in this morning I saw a house down the road loading some radiators and stuff into a skip outside the front door. An hour later I was going out again and there was a pickup with greedy boards and something like "Midlands Tree Maintenance" written on the side and two possible "tree surgeons" in the skip removing all the metal into the back of the pickup which was already part full of washing machines and various other bits of metal. They need a waste carriers license for scrap and are being actively pursued by the local police and council now unless they are just "tidying the yard up" Also it will cover them if they are pulled up with a chipper on tow and a load of saws in the back I suppose.

Edited by peatff

• 1 month later...

If anyone on this site needs info I may be able to advise on new law. The way I see it, if someone is a trades man (plumber, electrician/landscape gardener)and take scrap to a site once or twice a month you will be ok and will not need to be licensed, but bear in mind you are very likely to be stopped by police/vosa from 1/12 to check out what you do, especially if you are on the way to sell your scrap, so ensure your docs are up to date/vehicle in good order.:001_smile: