Domestic Fuel bills

Mike Dempsey

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm quite lucky, we invested in solar and have oil heating and two log fires. Our lecky bill is about £550 a year and oil is £600. We get about £1400 back from our solar set up. I just checked and we are £230 in credit so our actual lecky usage is about £320. We just had our yearly water bill £92! We have rainwater harvesting tanks too.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

We're on oil. About £900 a year on oil and £500 on electric. We do get free (retired miner in the family) coal and as much wood as i can burn (have to fell, cut and split it my self) .

Just out of interest, what is the coal allowance for a wife or family member of an ex miner these days?

I was amazed when speaking to my aunt a little while ago. She has converted her, (my late uncles) coal allowance into a cash payment.

Just out of interest, what is the coal allowance for a wife or family member of an ex miner these days?

I was amazed when speaking to my aunt a little while ago. She has converted her, (my late uncles) coal allowance into a cash payment.

No idea, but I bet it's a fair bit. I think it's only the miner or wife who'd get the allowance. I kind of exchange it for any burrs, honeysuckled birch/hazel or funky bits of wood I cut/find.

Just googled it as I hadn't heard of it before and it looks like it was scraped last month when UK coal went into receivership.

Going to be tough on any pensioners who have there winter budgets worked out expecting to get it.

Have a friends who live in large bungalow. They've had log burner for several years and recently gone to all electric for heating of workshop, bedrooms & h/w. The burner heats he open plan areas.

The roof is plastered with PV and solar-heat panels. They bought the panels and installation outright and had budgeted for full repayment in seven years. But with ever increasing utility bills year on year. They'll shortly, (within last five years) have been repaid the full amount, via the pay-in tariffs and savings on utility bills. Their total, (not per year) utility spend from start of 2011 to date, has been just £6.70. Yes, you read that correctly, 670 pennies.

Edited by TGB

Hi,

We have an old insert style log burner soon to be replaced with a Village A & a small Rayburn, which does a few radiators, hot water & unlimited cooking, well almost. We absolutely love it, obviously we have to buy wood, but Oak is 60 a stere delivered & we probably go through about 8 or 9 dependant on temperature as it can get fairly cold in January here.

To lower our electricity bill we have fitted LEDs for lighting, bought A++ rated devices & avoid leaving anything switched on unnecessarily. Our lowest winter bill gas & elec was 66 euros for 3 months with about 25 euros for bottled gas as the gas hob runs off that.

The comfort factor from this is excellent & we wouldnt swap for anything.

N

what drivel.

its like question time on here, and very much like the general public. waffle and no

comprehension of the market. OOH,ITS EXPENSIVE ,,,AND I PAY A LOT.

10,4% OF BUGGER ALL IS STILL BUGGER ALL.

I PAY 10 P/KWH AND £35 PER QUARTER STANDING CHARGE.

WOOD BURNERS AT AROUND 6 P/KWH FOR CENTRAL HEATING ECT. £60/BULK BAG 0.7M3

NFG WHAT PRICE DO YOU PAY IN FRANCE.??

what drivel.

its like question time on here, and very much like the general public. waffle and no

comprehension of the market. OOH,ITS EXPENSIVE ,,,AND I PAY A LOT.

10,4% OF BUGGER ALL IS STILL BUGGER ALL.

I PAY 10 P/KWH AND £35 PER QUARTER STANDING CHARGE.

WOOD BURNERS AT AROUND 6 P/KWH FOR CENTRAL HEATING ECT. £60/BULK BAG 0.7M3

NFG WHAT PRICE DO YOU PAY IN FRANCE.??

Hi

Its a forum, everyone has a right to an opinion.

As posted we pay 60 euros a stere, thats about £52 at current exchange rates.

N