Blade Failure in Jensen

Scott Farmborough

I concur with Pete B andTractor 10 about usage of Original Blades.

If you heard the blade hit the back of the truck just imagine what would have happened if you had the chute pointing elsewhere!!! or Ive even heard of blades shattering and coming through the housings!!

Itll be like being hit by shrapnell if it gets you or someone else....is it really worth it????

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny how the manufactures / agents on here seem to blame the pattern blade. In my time I have seen many blades fail. Genuine, pattern, from all manufactures. Some failures you can explain. Metal ingress, foreign objects, but most we see are down to bad installation. Not cleaned properly etc. The most common is incorrect tightening of the bolts. Easy to miss one and not tighten properly if slightly distracted. Some you can't explain. Could simply be a fault in the steel. Can't see inside it can we. It is also not possible to test every single one. Another factor in this case is, could the blade of been dropped whilst it was being sharpened? The blade could also have been damaged hours ago. That initial damage may take along time to completely fail. It happens.

In summary I don't know many people who have not had a blade fail in one way or another. Thats why I cringe when I see people in the back of trucks while the chipper is running or chipping.

or Ive even heard of blades shattering and coming through the housings!!

Itll be like being hit by shrapnell if it gets you or someone else....is it really worth it????

This happened on an 8 inch PTO Jensen I was working with a few years ago:scared1: If I remember rightly we didn't find much of the blade.

We had a contractor bring a 530 track machine into us for repair after the blade shattered, it was a copy blade from the North and the invoice from them stated "Jensen Blade" not blade to suit or copy, the Contractor spoke with his solicitor and was going to chase the manufacturer for the costs. don't know how he got on. I agree with Mike that any blade can fail for what ever reason, but by using the correct blades and bolts supplied by the chipper manufacturer, be it Jensen, Schliesing, Timberwolf etc. you are at least removing 1 of the possible failure reasons, and there is a reason why copies are cheaper!

it always suprises me that folk pay often in excess of £10 000 for a chipper and then put non genuine blades in when after all the blades take so much hammer and do all the work

Is it really worth it for a few quid?

do you put cheapest oil in as well or go branded

or perhaps you could save a couple more pounds and don,t buy any grease for it as well

or better still never sharpen blades then you would never need to buy new ones

and yes i am been sarcastic

and i do not sell blades or chippers

I'm not arguing for or against using non genuine blades but I thought that certain companies selling certain blades are supposed to be made of better steel therefore you may think you are getting better blades than the original at a cheaper price.

After all I doubt vermeer,bandit timberwolf etc actually make there blades (might be wrong) in the way that husky dont make there own chains

Funny how the manufactures / agents on here seem to blame the pattern blade. In my time I have seen many blades fail. Genuine, pattern, from all manufactures. Some failures you can explain. Metal ingress, foreign objects, but most we see are down to bad installation. Not cleaned properly etc. The most common is incorrect tightening of the bolts. Easy to miss one and not tighten properly if slightly distracted. Some you can't explain. Could simply be a fault in the steel. Can't see inside it can we. It is also not possible to test every single one. Another factor in this case is, could the blade of been dropped whilst it was being sharpened? The blade could also have been damaged hours ago. That initial damage may take along time to completely fail. It happens.

In summary I don't know many people who have not had a blade fail in one way or another. Thats why I cringe when I see people in the back of trucks while the chipper is running or chipping.

I like your thinking Mike, to be honest i have had 15 years experience with chippers all makes and models......also manufacturers blades and copies and this is the first time i have had a failure.

For the reasons you have spelt out i feel i am quite happy using pattern blades. Thanks for your input.

I had this happen years ago with non-original blades. Its all to do with the chromium content of the steel used apparently. You wouldn't want to be in the chipbox with your pecker hanging out having a pee when a few bits of frag come flying out of the chipper shoot !!!. I'd go for original blades and drop the revs on the chipper/turn if off when you get in the back.

The famous 'U' steel that the men up north use is 'X-rayed' for faults. Isn't It?!

Incorrect tempering is a very likely cause here.