Extendable bridges for mr shutler!

DrewB

Your actually doubling your loading at your high point. I'm not a fan of the system as you could actually induce branch faliure through it's use

I was thinking the same thing with my set-up and wandering it what scenario it might be usefull, if the anchor was really that weak then doubling its load is something you want to avoid, i do think there is some use for the technique though.

I'm also trying to get my head round angles as that may reduce loading? Only when your under it does it apply double the force at this point your pushing down on the stem which should be its strongest.

you've also got the back up if your high point fails your supported by a much stronger lower point, but then you have to factor in how much damage you'll get in the fall and the possibilty of your anchor then zip lining into you:ohmy:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Double loading straight down on a limb is far less likely to cause failure than laterally loading the same limb.

Lateral loading is when I start to take extra care.

I think of it like stacking pennies ontop of a straw, it will take quite a stack before it collapses, but it will not take anywhere near the same weight side on

I can see what is happening there, but why or when would you use it..?

thanks.:001_smile:

In big trees its really useful when you go up and down lots or returning on big branch walks, self tends the hitch for you. Definetley not ideal for all times but when they are used they can be a god send.

and i just like mucking around with stuff:001_cool:

In big trees its really useful when you go up and down lots or returning on big branch walks, self tends the hitch for you. Definetley not ideal for all times but when they are used they can be a god send.

and i just like mucking around with stuff:001_cool:

cool, thanks for the reply drew...top man:001_smile:

Pete really got me thinking about how much force i'm putting on my anchor redirect, i'm still a little confused but feel the anchor redirect has its place.

Here is what i've got in my head,,, in my pic if i'm hanging directly below my redirect the double pulley is supporting twice my weight, as i increase the angle i am reducing the load on the pulley, by how much i'm not sure.

There are other factors to consider to, only i'm to tired to think properly right now.

There are other factors to consider to, only i'm to tired to think properly right now.

Like your full weight is very rarely on your anchor point whilst branch walking or spiking a stem to the side.

This is when I use the redirect and I also use a second anchor

It is used to take away the side loading of a branch and if you use this system you would hardly anchor onto a stem not capable of taking double your body weight and you would also use your short strop as a backup