problems with hedge trimmers

jolly wilson

Hi there,

Problems: no..is it hard work..oh yes..

I cut miles of high hedges per year and it is brutal.

There is no easy way. (Perhaps tractor and flail!)

I've friends who use electric machines which are light weight and slow. Cables/generator

I use the stihl kombi system ( 130 and 130 back pack) which is fast and heavy. Also a hs81r (cutting version)

I also have just bought a fr back pack engine unit which I thought would help as some of the weight goes through your back but in reality the 135 degrees head weighs a bit and has not the engine to counter balance it so feels awkward. For the back pack ones to be good stihl should make a head minus the extension pole. Then it would be well useful. The back pack using the extension then the hedge cutter on top would be tricky to use as it's then very front heavy.

If it's a huge ugly job I usually only plan one a week as it gives my shredded arms time to recover.

One of my recent jobs was to shape and cut a 800m stretch of young-ish hedge about 6' high x 6' wide on a conservation farm which didn't want to use a tractor mounted job. Sore on the arms but no ladders so did it in around 10 hours of actual work time. No including lots of little breaks...

In my opinion hedge cutting on grander scales is one of the toughest jobs you'll do on your arms as you never have anything to rest the machinery on. It's all 'air-shots'

I guess it saves going to the gym though.

The elephants trunk systems might be the way forward but I'd worry as you have to get so many different angles and positions when hedge cutting especially when on a ladder. (I use large/med combi ladders and love them go up to 2 stories reasonably safety and cope with rough ground well.) it might be restrictive.

Hope that sheds some light.

Colin

Thanks for your response colin, very helpful.

I am currently completing a design and make project at university and want to come up with a solution to this problem of tiring when hedge cutting. I feel the two possible design solutions when be to create a back harness that would support the weight of the machine but still allow the user complete control of the machine and use it however they wish. Or a have the engine mounted on your back and have this connected to the trimming arm but still make the trimmer as light as possible (use aluminium or carbon fibre).

do you feel these could be possible solutions?

Thanks

I am currently completing a design and make project at university and want to come up with a solution to this problem of tiring when hedge cutting. I feel the two possible design solutions when be to create a back harness that would support the weight of the machine but still allow the user complete control of the machine and use it however they wish. Or a have the engine mounted on your back and have this connected to the trimming arm but still make the trimmer as light as possible (use aluminium or carbon fibre).

Thanks

Both idea's have already been designed bud. Aka Easy Lift Harness and Stihl

How about mounting on a trolley with the machine cutter able to be set higher in graduations to allow for limited bar length versus high hedges. Nice big wheels for easy pushing and self vertical levelling by means of a weighted arm to account for terrain changes.

Hmmmm dragons den appearance looming on the horizon lol

Anybody familiar patent application process :)

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Thanks

Well the Easy Lift Harness has already been invented and the only improvement to be made with that would be to make it from carbon to save weight.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!