Help - How many tons of wood would an average log supplier get through in a year ?

Duffryn

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assumed cost of wood at £40 a ton though rapeseed straw ( 4032kw per ton) would cost circa £20 a ton.

I think there is a danger of people looking at to much detail at this at this stage. Its a high level question.

IF the cost was £12.50 a ton and the throughput was 40-50 tons a week and the equipment was provided free of charge would this be a wining idea ?

Obviously at the the right stage full details of the calculations and equipment would be provided with full transparency.

About to set off for a day out so apologies if there are no replies to further questions until later

Assumed cost of wood at £40 a ton though rapeseed straw ( 4032kw per ton) would cost circa £20 a ton.

I think there is a danger of people looking at to much detail at this at this stage. Its a high level question.

IF the cost was £12.50 a ton and the throughput was 40-50 tons a week and the equipment was provided free of charge would this be a wining idea ?

Obviously at the the right stage full details of the calculations and equipment would be provided with full transparency.

About to set off for a day out so apologies if there are no replies to further questions until later

I am always open to new ideas and would be interested in seeing this in more detail, although im not up to the 750t per year yet but its what im aiming at.

I am always open to new ideas and would be interested in seeing this in more detail, although im not up to the 750t per year yet but its what im aiming at.

Thanks. I am working on getting the minimum throughput required for us to provide the system FOC down to 350-400 tons and the cost of drying down to £7.50 per dried ton . Hopefully we will be in a position to launch mid December.

I recall reading somewhere in the RHI literature that drying woodchips is expressly excluded from the scheme

Been digging through the Ofgem and Decc press releases it would appear the rules changed in Sep 2013 still need to be careful how you set it up but wood drying for COMMERCIAL purposes now seems to be allowable for RHI.

Been digging through the Ofgem and Decc press releases it would appear the rules changed in Sep 2013 still need to be careful how you set it up but wood drying for COMMERCIAL purposes now seems to be allowable for RHI.

Youve got a better eyestrain tolerance than me then John, I couldnt even find the correct site, let alone trawl through it all again:biggrin:

Not a bad idea artificially drying, depends on loading and unloading, thankfully I dont do logs (well only a few).

• 2 weeks later...

i'm also very interested in this system, and i'm also interested in whether this could be used to dry hardwood timber rather than firewood logs?

or on second thoughts, does anyone know whether there is a system out there similar to a CHP where the electricity generated is either used or sold, and the heat generated from the system is used to heat a kiln?