Using field as a yard.

Brett

Hypothetical question:

If i buy a house with land i.e. horse field, where do you stand legally on using the field to run your business out of? I understand that if I want to build I need Planning, but if I was to lay type 1 and put containers there and run a business from there, do i need to apply for change of use?

If I was to buy a house with existing out buildings that could be used to run a business from, do I need permission?

Does that make sense?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you change the use of the land you need change of use, if its an agricultural field and you make it into a yard they will be after you sooner or later.

You can run a business from a domestic address but operating a business there isn't allowed and is going to cause you problems. Keeping a transit and a chipper on the drive is something may get away with but if you start making noise the neighbours are probably going to be on the barricades.

If you change the use of the land you need change of use, if its an agricultural field and you make it into a yard they will be after you sooner or later.

You can run a business from a domestic address but operating a business there isn't allowed and is going to cause you problems. Keeping a transit and a chipper on the drive is something may get away with but if you start making noise the neighbours are probably going to be on the barricades.

thinking more of small holding type affair with agricultural style out buildings rather than mid terrace and garage?

the chances are the field is agricultural so you'd need to apply for change of use. Once rumbled you'd have to explain yourself, you would be forced to stop or apply but probably get refused and go back to the drawing board. If you can keep it low key you may get away with it. change from agricultural is pretty hard to achieve to conserve the rural landscape , maybe if you state you will return the land to original use one you are done with it......

I think we have been lucky on two counts ! I bought a small holding house and yard with some buildings but no extra land.Started to run our log business from there and as expected we got the visit, as some kind neighbor about 1/2 a mile away raised the councils interest.We are in Wales so as they classed it as a new venture we had no trouble we pointed out we had looked on the net to see what we needed to do about what we were able to do.Rates were half as a new business and halved again as we are in wales.So we did not have an issue.

Now in the family is a block of agricultural ground 40 acres in total. My step Dad had the opportunity to purchase the old railway line that runs along side this.Now for many years we have run a steam and vintage rally on this site and also use it for a couple of other events.

When we put some containers on this site to keep the equipment in for the club that runs this event some noisy person sends the council around who say we need permission for them,we take advise and are told we don't but the council were then on our back so we asked if we would get the permission if we applied.

They say good chance so we apply and get permission for storage on about 1 acre plus the railway line. BINGO I now have around 500 ton of timber there plus other containers it's storage and there is nothing they can do

Hi all

The law as I understand it from the enforcement officer is that you need change of use if you cut up tree surgery waste in an agricultural field but if you buy cordwood from a forest then you do not need permission as forestry and agriculture are in the same category. Which means in short you can cut up cords all day with a saw and they cannot stop you but if you cut up arb waste then they can.