Can you tell someones age group from the way they Post

gensetsteve

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it really matter though? Is it not about the language evolving?

Sent using My c

But is it evolving for the better? Some of the communications I receive from local authorities are frankly appalling. One letter in particular I had to return with a request, that it was rewritten by an officer with a basic understanding of the English language.

I also find it surprising how many websites and vehicle liveries , of professional businesses, contain poor spelling and grammar. A local welding co. drove round for years advertising their rought iron work :lol:

A local welding co. drove round for years advertising their rought iron work :lol:

There's one near me that has a sign outside their yard saying "you've just past" (company name). The funny thing is, I always know exactly what the company is called. Perhaps an unintentional gaff has actually done them a favour.

Personally, I try to use and prefer to read properly written text. We have one of the largest, richest languages in the world and it's a shame to waste it.

I am compiling a young persons phrase book so we can communicate more effectively on site. A few to start

To be honest with you ( I am lying through my teeth )

To be fair ( I am still lying through my teeth if I stand my ground the old git might back down )

For sure ( I am not listening to a word you said had me tea break now focused on Lunch )

"Yea but" followed by very fast speech ( I am not doing that )

In it ( no idea on this one but its on the end of most sentences ) :biggrin:

I don't think it matters. It's just a stage, I'm sure people have been complaining about punctuation through history.

Sent using My c

I think it may be more 'just a stage'. With a 98% pass rate for this years 'A' levels, there may be something wrong with our education system. We have staff, who have achieved pass marks in higher education who can barely read and write. They can however text at 100wpm, but if you're over thirty you can't understand that either.

Edited by Gary Prentice
Typing on my little phone with fat working fingers

I am guessing that those complaining about spelling and grammar, are the over a certain age. And those that don't give xxx, are younger.

And also those who always getting it right are on table top personal computer (pc) and those that get it wrong might be on a small touch screen thingy.... Which don't work so well with manual labourers fingers...

I am compiling a young persons phrase book so we can communicate more effectively on site. A few to start

To be honest with you ( I am lying through my teeth )

To be fair ( I am still lying through my teeth if I stand my ground the old git might back down )

For sure ( I am not listening to a word you said had me tea break now focused on Lunch )

"Yea but" followed by very fast speech ( I am not doing that )

In it ( no idea on this one but its on the end of most sentences ) :biggrin:

This needs a 'sticky'