HI ALL and new to the bussiness

philip2011

Enjoy learning...cutting...climbing...study about trees and machinery...get qualified and work for somebody....start at the bottom...just getting your body used to doing this job day in...day out is a kearning curve...wait a couple of years before setting your sights higher...good luck and welcome!:)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome to the forum and the industry.

I can offer the following advice, I am in my third year of business for myself as a landscape gardener and 2 years ago I decided to going into Arb as well to provide a service to my existing clientèle rather than subcontracting to others.

Up until now I have had a small berlingo van and sub 750 kg trailer. As stated above, not every job will require a chipper. Think small and slow to start with and get some experience under your belt with small conifer removals and a few crown reductions. Bashing down arisings in the trailer is more labour intensive but it works and has worked for many a guy starting out. Further more you will find occasional jobs like hedge cutting or removing wire like hawthorne where the chipper will take longer than just boshing it into the truck or trailer.

When pricing to include the hire of the chipper, beware that you can very easily price your self out of the market if your local competition has the machinery.

When you do look to buy a chipper - look at fixed rate finance, a 5 inch machine will typically cost around 190 - 220 per month including vat and with a deposit of 1200 - 1300 pounds.

Second hand chippers are out there, and can be a good buy if your looking at occasional use but beware that with anything second hand, the potential for going wrong is high - not that things don't go wrong with new machines but at least they have warrenty.

Seek out some companies near you who need extra hands and offer labouring for reduced rate and build up your experience that way, and if you don't know something then do ask on here - thats what arbtalk is all about.

J

Good advice by everyone.

I left college in June this year, after studying a Level 3 Diploma in Arb. I have been working with two different companies one since Feb 2012 and the other since June 2013. I have gained a lot of knowledge and experience from working with these established companies but don't feel I am ready to run my own business (as I don't have enough a knowledge or experience). But what I do do is have a small gardening round, just doing hedge trimming and the odd bit of tree work but nothing major. This suits me down to the ground and I love it. I have a pick up, a hedge trimmer, brush, rake, ladders and a couple of dumpy bags!! Ideal.

Good luck on your college course and enjoy what you do - that's the most important thing.

Cheers

thanks for the advice guys much appreciated

this might be a stupid question but please bare with me

if i went with a few companies to gain exp would it be on a self employed basis as i am currently training with tkf then the job centre have kindly funded my other training which takes me up to December for level 2+3 in tree felling and rope and harness i am also hoping to secure funding so i can do my aerial pruning i am going down the route of going self employed garden maintenance/ landscaper so would you suggest i fine a local tree surgeon to do one to two days work a week thank you for bearing with me

phil