what would you recommend

L200

An 18 inch is a serious heavy saw for ground work.

Although I've got bars from 12 to 36 inches the saw I pick up the most is a 211 with 14inch on it. Will do all the jobs you describe perfectly. Wielding a heavy 60cc saw at arms length on a hedge is too much like hard work and very dangerous.

For the weight the 211 is hard to beat, and at the end of a long day, weight is everything!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are looking for a general saw for gardening purposes I would recommend the MS211 with a 14" bar. You can then tackle stuff up to 28"diameter.

If you are reducing hedges on a platform would a nice big silky not be more suitable?

That's what I opt for.

The MS150 rear handle 10"bar would be my other recommendation but haven't used it on a big hedge yet. It is light and as you will find on the site alot of the pro arbs are favouring them for conifer work.

Remember that the chainsaw should not be used above chest height.

If you don't have PPE then I would suggest pricing that first before buying a saw.

Training can be expensive but if you are taking money for doing a job you should have been trained for the task. Check your insurance.

Safety first.:thumbup1:

Top handles are dangerous enough for pruning, let alone hedges. Let's face it, it's safer and easier to use a small standard saw. I've used a 50cc saw with an 18" 325 bar on hedges with ease. He is going to go about it more safely than a simple ladder, so I see no reason to limit himself with a top handle if he is also going to use it for other work. Most decent 50cc saws can pull 18" of RSC bar thru conifers if you aren't ham-fisted. In any case, it sounds like he can do a 16" for most of his work, so he shouldn't have any issues finding a 50cc STIHL saw to suit his needs. The new 261 CM-Tronic is trickling out, and should be less than 6 bills.

Each to their own.

An 18 inch is a serious heavy saw for ground work.

It's a hedge and conifers for limited work to start, not oak and beech all day long for felling and boxing. A 261CM with a laminated bar and 325 chain will do the work fine. If it can't, you're doing something wrong, or you may want to join a gym.

Go for it mate. Nothing wrong with cutting straight through a thick hedge with a larger bar. I was doing it myself from a mancrate on the loader the other day, 24" bar on 034.

As an aside, it pulled it surprisingly well. I had it buried entirely in the oak pictured in this thread, and it didn't bog. Standard chain, not skip, and solid nose bar as well :001_huh: There was barely sufficient oil however, not something I'd do regularly but for the one off odd cuts it's handy to know.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/milling-forum/63113-oak-butt-milling-sussex-surrey-area.html

Work smarter, not harder.

OP sounds clued up to me, willing to spend on decent kit. Why tell him to 'stick to gardening'? Folk have to start somewhere. So what if he has no tickets? So long as he sticks to stuff he's capable of where no damage can occur then he's fine. Your customers will stick to you because you're qualified. He will be happy working for the slightly cheaper customers on a lesser rate. That's how a free market works. I sometimes think certain members on here are somewhat protectionist.