Why, oh why oh why?....

Bowlander

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed; loose cubic metre that is (loose logs occupying 1m3 space)

Think I'll sell mine as semi loose. I hope my innovative advertising description will appeal to those that don't like their logs too loose but still prefer some looseness. Those who prefer things tighter will be glad for the 50% reduction in looseness I'm offering.

Dave

But you cant quote a customer for a stacked cubic metre because if you stack it twice you will get a different result. Just to add something else into the mix we use 1.5 cubic metre bags if we use them a couple of times they stretch a bit and we always bounce them as we load them to settle the load. Tipped some this week into my tipper which is exactly 2 cu metres and each bag filled it to the brim. So if you think you are pulling a fast one doing bulk bags you may actually be doing the customer a favour. We always sell by the cubic metre and heap the load incase it settles on route so often a tipped load will be 2.2 cu metres rather than 2.

You sell by the cubic metre and that's fab. Very clear. What im trying to explain is that a lot of folk sell by the bag and they dont say how big that bag is or how much wood is likely to be in it. For example, there's a chap on ebay who sells wood in bags and says that they're much bigger than builders bags. If he was nearer then i'd buy from him.

Extra Large Bag Of Seasoned Hardwood Logs, Firewood | eBay

You sell by the cubic metre and that's fab. Very clear. What im trying to explain is that a lot of folk sell by the bag and they dont say how big that bag is or how much wood is likely to be in it. For example, there's a chap on ebay who sells wood in bags and says that they're much bigger than builders bags. If he was nearer then i'd buy from him.

But the guy you bought from told you how big the bag was. The confusion arose because you didn't realise the difference between the amount of loose logs that bag would hold and the volume they would occupy when tidily stacked. Not really anybody's fault, just a matter of inexperience. :001_smile:

Think I'll sell mine as semi loose. I hope my innovative advertising description will appeal to those that don't like their logs too loose but still prefer some looseness. Those who prefer things tighter will be glad for the 50% reduction in looseness I'm offering.

Dave

Superb

This is my last post as this is silly.

You buy a 0.7m3 bag for £50 and moan about poor value.

You see a 1.0m3 bag for £70 and want to buy some.

That's the same price per volume of logs as both are loose packed.

As you say, you buying logs off people clearly isn't a good idea.

Best to cut your own! Good luck.

The pic on the link looks like a standard 1 cubic meter bag, I suppose that is extra large when you are used to selling tiny ones.

70 for a cube of hard if well cut, split and dried is very cheap, no profit in that at all unless getting the cord for free as arb waste.

A

But the guy you bought from told you how big the bag was. The confusion arose because you didn't realise the difference between the amount of loose logs that bag would hold and the volume they would occupy when tidily stacked. Not really anybody's fault, just a matter of inexperience. :001_smile:

Nah, he didn't tell me how big the bag was he just said it would hold 0.7 cubic metres. I wish i'd measured the bag! And yes im aware that this is 0.7 cubic metres loose, not stacked.

By the way, i searched on ebay...

18 ads are selling firewood by the cubic metre

42 ads are selling firewood by the vague "bulk bag" method.

Just saying...

Now I am confused. You bought from someone who told you how big the bag was but were disappointed by the volume when stacked. Fair enough

You propose to buy from a guy on ebay (if he was nearer) a bag of loose logs that looks bigger but the advert offers no dimensions. Presumably you would be equally disappointed if his £70 bag failed to stack 40% bigger than your £50 bag?