New rope purchase - need help!

SteveT1989

Hey guys, wanna buy a new rope as my spliced eye on my marlow gecko is interfering with my closed knot hitches (dunno if i'm doing something wrong) and my dilemma is the New England Tachyon "Slaiced" Eye or the Yale poison Ivy with slaiced eye.

Whos been using either of these and what are they like?

cheers

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure why you are having issues to be honest.

Won't any other spliced eye cause the same problem.

Pic might help?

Same as you cannot picture what the problem is, unless he is using an o-rig type of set-up the. A Sliace or whatever it's called is ideal and I don't think you could go wrong with the Tachyon not sure if the Sliace is available with Yale as I thought it was tefeulberger/new England only.

Marlow splice are usually pretty solid at the neck and that black protection sleeve is annoying (not sure if they still use this) a picture may help and save you buying a new rope.

the marlow splice is very bulky, so called 'closed knots' or as i prefer to call them, self-tailing hitches such as the vt, distel etc can have a tendency to get caught (when using HC/SW) after a period of ascent the hitchgets held 'open'/'disengaged' on the super bulky splice

solutions:

tie your hitch differently & use a short krab in the hitch-climbers upper hole so that it never compresses bellow the splice

get a slicker splice either on a new rope or you could have your gecko spliced (providing its not too dirty or milked as this can make splicing much harder)

hope it helps x

the marlow splice is very bulky, so called 'closed knots' or as i prefer to call them, self-tailing hitches such as the vt, distel etc can have a tendency to get caught (when using HC/SW) after a period of ascent the hitchgets held 'open'/'disengaged' on the super bulky splice

solutions:

tie your hitch differently & use a short krab in the hitch-climbers upper hole so that it never compresses bellow the splice

get a slicker splice either on a new rope or you could have your gecko spliced (providing its not too dirty or milked as this can make splicing much harder)

hope it helps x

Yeah exactly that, been using an O rig set up and on ascent, found that I had to "stroke" my hitch from time to time as the splice termination got in the way of the hitch - didnt tend - unhappy chappy. The only other thing I was gonna try was a longer friction cord?

cheers