Subcontracting chipper rates (to help with finance payments)

kentjames

I know what your saying Ste but would you pay £400 a day for a man and a chipper??

Depends on your overheads and daily running costs. I wouldn't go out and charge £200 a day if my running cost was £300. Realistically if you lost money doing it then why bother. People who go out for daft rates won't be around long, chipper blades, fuel and wear and tear all need to be accounted for plus if you and chipper are working on your own stuff you can charge more so why go out for peanuts.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been balancing up this exact same thing recently.

Purchased a newer truck - Transit Double Cab tipper. Now the whole chipper conundrum!

For me its more TW125 against 150 and whether to go new or used???

Or what else is out there for similar money - Vermeer, Schiesling, Grren Mech, etc

Be interested to see your chipper in action Mark Bolam, as not seen the smaller TW's before.

Chris

Give me a shout anytime mate.

This just my opinion and i'm sure many will tell im wronge but you need to have your own work. Your not going to make a do subbing to the trade at £180-£250 a day. Work will be sporadic,milage will be high and when the bearings in your chipper need replacing you prob wont have the money put by to pay for it. The big problem with the OP's plan is he seems set and a tw125 which is no doubt a good machine but will not outchip a 6" diesel chipper if it has been maintained with sharp knifes. Most tree firms already have similar sized if not bigger road tow chippers already so he's only going to be working for people who don't have a chipper or have had a breakdown or want to put a subby team out to cover more work. I run a 4x4 and tracked chipper so i generally get work where people cant get with a road tow. Subby work for me is nice additional income if i'm quiet i couldn't do it soley as a living.

This just my opinion and i'm sure many will tell im wronge but you need to have your own work. Your not going to make a do subbing to the trade at £180-£250 a day. Work will be sporadic,milage will be high and when the bearings in your chipper need replacing you prob wont have the money put by to pay for it. The big problem with the OP's plan is he seems set and a tw125 which is no doubt a good machine but will not outchip a 6" diesel chipper if it has been maintained with sharp knifes. Most tree firms already have similar sized if not bigger road tow chippers already so he's only going to be working for people who don't have a chipper or have had a breakdown or want to put a subby team out to cover more work. I run a 4x4 and tracked chipper so i generally get work where people cant get with a road tow. Subby work for me is nice additional income if i'm quiet i couldn't do it soley as a living.

Lot of good advice there.

Rather than going full out and getting a tw 125 is it worth looking at the laski/ raptor ls100 it's a 5 inch machine for alot less money. Worth getting a demo at least I know you get what you pay for.

Realistically how much subby work with a small 5/6 inch machine are you going to get as that size is the norm anyway. Think about spending a little less but you get a new machine with a better warranty. May be able to get a good personal loan for less a month to to help finance it for a shorter period also.