Heads up-good replacement engine for Stihl polesaws, pole hedgcutters and combi units

doobin

Yes :lol:

It was a first attempt at meeting the EU emission standards, using a system of valves requiring frequent adjustment and prone to failure. After a year or so and many complaints Sthil said they wouldn't fail, so long as you used their super duper, arm and a leg fully synthetic two stroke oil. By then it was a bit late for people who had them fail in less than a year, including myself.

And then there's the horrible farty noise they make!

As described in the OP, there are also many ergonomic improvements to this new engine, which I believe make it an obvious choice to buy instead of a 4-mix FS-90.

I have had a couple and used a lot of other peoples and not had a problem.

As for the noise,,,,,

Man up and get used to it. If it bothers you live with it in the knowledge of the extra torque you get

Have had two 130 Km's and they have been proven to be total crap.. The last dropped a valve one month out of warranty and was incontinent leaking fuel all the time through the air filter.

The first was just junk but I was reassured by my dealer and stihl technical they had sorted all the problems Id had with the first.. Which they hadn't.

Just glad my hs 75 is still going.

• 2 weeks later...
Valve system in a 2-stroke is simply not a good idea! Stihl will replace it with some thing better soon, buy a km56r power unit and shaft, slide the head on and away you go! Far more reliable.......and cheap to convert :0)

That's almost what I'm suggesting, but with a 2-mix engine (FS-70) And if your current 4-mix model has a solid shaft, then drop the new engine onto that rather than use a polesaw or hedgecutter with a flexi shaft as per FS56.

2 mix is proven technology that works well.

• 2 weeks later...

Do it.

My only gripe having used it for four weeks solid on the polesaw and occasionally the hedgecutter is the trigger- it's a bit like the FS-55 one and easy to hook around your clothing.

No doubt the slightly larger models when they finally release them will have integrated triggers like the previous models. I'm guessing this FS-70 is at the domestic end of the planned range hence the trigger.

• 6 months later...