delivery trailers????

RDB logs

So say I delivered logs on a Monday, then Tuesday went on holiday which entailed a 4 hour drive, I would have tovrun the taxi and abide by stopping times etc. Seems daft.

Its only what I was told by someone, but the onus is on you to prove what you have been doing. For example if you do 50miles with a trailer on Monday then do 1000 miles the rest of the week and get stopped,the tacho actually records which mileage was done using it. Its your word against theirs. I personally hate it( the regs) When I truck drive if you stop after 4 1/2 ours for the 45minutes rest. You are actually worst for wear when commencing driving again IMO. Id rather go home earlier and get proper rest. Where can you park a vehicle of that size and this applies to B+E as well. Chipper and gear on back, on a rough estate need 30 min Working time directive break, you don't pop to the shops or for a walk. You work to get job done on tacho break. Which is illegal.

I tend not to get involved on these subjects, just warn others, as It winds me up. Im all for safety etc. But its gone mad.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What make and model trailer are you using, delivering 2 cube at a time will weigh 900/1000 kg, + trailer.

So trailer U/L weight would need to be about 800kg which is a lot for a single axle trailer, with a weight capacity of 1.8t all up.

A

Indespension 8'x4' plant trailer with added mesh sides. Not sure I agree with your figures for the wood - yes, when unseasoned, but about 60% of that when properly seasoned. I allow 1200kg for the wood, leaving 600kg for the trailer. And one thing I will say about it is, it's light, but excellent for the job. I'd prefer something a little more heavily built, but I can't afford the weight penalty.

I have a 320d touring heavy little beast for a smallish car. Wondered what they were like for towing.

Same model here. It's fine on power, the only thing to watch is the clutch: it's easy to get it smelly when reversing, and definitely not in the same class as the Defender.

But the Defender doesn't get 40mpg in the slipstream of an artic on the motorway...

Indespension 8'x4' plant trailer with added mesh sides. Not sure I agree with your figures for the wood - yes, when unseasoned, but about 60% of that when properly seasoned. I allow 1200kg for the wood, leaving 600kg for the trailer. And one thing I will say about it is, it's light, but excellent for the job. I'd prefer something a little more heavily built, but I can't afford the weight penalty.

That would be about right, the caddy is max 1500kg towing cap, so properly seasoned wood is the way forward,

I have been offered a 8x5 x2 ft deep tipper , will see how it looks tomorrow, not sure on the make but could be on the limit with 2 cube in, may have to stick to dumpy bags as I carnt afford the 1200kg plus a 500kg trailer weight

Cheers rich