Remembering 911, 12 years later.

easy-lift guy

It seems such a short time ago. I'd been reducing a maple and it was on TV when I arrived home. It also coincided with my wife telling me it was all over so I was in one hell of a state.

It's a date that will stick in minds forever. Like the assasination of Kennedy, Martin Luther King and the death of Princess Diana.

I remember been at work and it coming on the radio about the attack. We thought it was a joke at the time it was so unbelievable. Went home and watched it on the Telly. Been to NY a couple of times since and it's mad to see where the buildings stood

Sent using My c

I read about the arborist who's been a wreck ever since. When the plane went down in the field, the aborted attack or whatever, it exploded sending body parts hundreds of feet into the air, for four days it was his job to remove those body parts from the trees.

Rip to all

Wow!, I never heard about that story. Not that it is not true, however being a crime scene I believe the forensic teams on hand had to of supervised the recovery of such evidence.

easy-lift guy

I think all of our lives changed on that day. I remember seeing it on the customers TV and thinking...theres going to be a war...I need to get home to my family....12 years later we are still fighting it....and I've got a horrible we'll be fighting it in another 12 years....

Watched it as it happened in Operations at work, thinking how we'd end up going somewhere sandy. It's my birthday too, so not something I can ever forget.

I remember thinking quite cruelly that it was a wake-up call to the Americans. I'd spent years doing anti-terrorist stuff, knowing that "patriots" in the US were helping fund the IRA. years of checking my car for devices, years of driving to work hiding my uniform. Remember the nail bombs? The barracks bombings? Hyde Park? Big events in Britain, small events in the World.

But 9/11 was an horrific sight. My brother-in-law was evacuated from an hotel nearby and ran with thousands of others to Central Park. It was a long wait to hear that he was ok.

Then we had the pleasure! of endless trips to the Gulf, the fear of flying into Basrah at night, wondering if our anti-missile defences would work properly. Listening to the base getting rocketed around us. Watching the firefights below in Al Amarah, Najaf, Baghdad, and Basrah itself. Scrambling to assist in a TIC (Troops In Contact). Collapsing in horror when our friends of many years died in the Nimrod crash.

So 9/11 was a continuation of crap, but in an unimaginable scale. And as someone said above, the effects will go on for many years to come.

It also taught me how much the Americans regard their Armed Forces, and the indifference the majority of British civilians had to us. Our visit to New York and the site was full of support, thanks, praise for what were doing, and it was simple and honest. Nowadays Help For Heroes has changed that. So many UK families now have a link to guys who have headed east.

So that's part of my take on 9/11. Other views are available.

Watched it as it happened in Operations at work, thinking how we'd end up going somewhere sandy. It's my birthday too, so not something I can ever forget.

I remember thinking quite cruelly that it was a wake-up call to the Americans. I'd spent years doing anti-terrorist stuff, knowing that "patriots" in the US were helping fund the IRA. years of checking my car for devices, years of driving to work hiding my uniform. Remember the nail bombs? The barracks bombings? Hyde Park? Big events in Britain, small events in the World.

But 9/11 was an horrific sight. My brother-in-law was evacuated from an hotel nearby and ran with thousands of others to Central Park. It was a long wait to hear that he was ok.

Then we had the pleasure! of endless trips to the Gulf, the fear of flying into Basrah at night, wondering if our anti-missile defences would work properly. Listening to the base getting rocketed around us. Watching the firefights below in Al Amarah, Najaf, Baghdad, and Basrah itself. Scrambling to assist in a TIC (Troops In Contact). Collapsing in horror when our friends of many years died in the Nimrod crash.

So 9/11 was a continuation of crap, but in an unimaginable scale. And as someone said above, the effects will go on for many years to come.

It also taught me how much the Americans regard their Armed Forces, and the indifference the majority of British civilians had to us. Our visit to New York and the site was full of support, thanks, praise for what were doing, and it was simple and honest. Nowadays Help For Heroes has changed that. So many UK families now have a link to guys who have headed east.

So that's part of my take on 9/11. Other views are available.

Appreciate your service, Thank you.