Log splitter hydraulic to PTO

Ashes_Firewood

you could buy one of these types of pumps pictured,

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachments/firewood-forum/134284d1378807626-log-splitter-hydraulic-pto-57199638_604082ade9.jpg

This one looks like one could attach a PTO to the back end. I've looked for a pto pump with drive through as my little tractor just doesn't have enough flow for my small processor.

A word of warning... it was a real disappointment when we tried our pump on our little B7100 - plenty of power to drive it but the pump just would not fit in the space available on the rear end. No doubt adapters could be made etc etc but the beauty of such a system is just clip it onto the pto of any available tractor and off you go.

Forgot to say that if anyone wants to try it out they are more than welcome but I would expect you to need to split around 5 cubes with a standard hyd take off then another 5 cubes with the pump so you would be absolutely sure :001_smile:.

Sorry to jump in your thread but I'm looking to do the same sort of thing. Is there a way of calculating what size pump you need depending on the ram size?

there was a really good thread on here about this a while back, I couldnt find it but one of the contributors was really useful with the flow/torque/power side of things.

One of the ideas with splitters is the dual pump, both bits of the pump contribute oil when speed is required, but when a gnarly log stops the ram only one section of the pump is in action which saves stalling the engine of whatever is driving it.

What you need is someone who can explain these things:blushing:

if your going to do this there are several things you need to be aware of,

1:, the pto gearboxs that the pump fits on come in various sizes and ratios,

2:, there are 3 sizes of pumps, and different flow rates within each of these, generaly size 1 have low rates, siz2 bigger, and size 3 the largest, although sometimes the max output pressures drop with the highest volumes

3:, you must design your system so as never to deadhead the pump,(stall the flow, as this can burst the pump casings!!!)

4:. shop around as not all suppliers are equall!

howford hydraulics can supply pto gearboxes, pumps, fittings and most of the bits, cheaper than flowfit!, parquip can supply hoses, adaptors, fittings, etc, cheapest supplier I've found, and extremely helpfull, ask to speak to Nick, Laminarflo have the cheapest pumps on the web, good quality ones at that. and finally, dont be scared to ask about your proposed design and choice of parts, theres plenty of us out here who have lots of hydraulic experience

• Thanks 1

Having given it much thought over the week I have decided to have a clear out and sell both our small splitter and the pto pump. As I really haven't a clue what either of these are worth I can't put them in the classifieds so they will both go onto ebay this evening as two separate listings.

The auction will be allowed to run its course with no 'buy it now' or 'advertised elsewhere' boleaux. If anyone wants a demo please get in touch.

• Thanks 1

Sorry to jump in your thread but I'm looking to do the same sort of thing. Is there a way of calculating what size pump you need depending on the ram size?

Ive converted mine to pto pump it's a lot better than the tractor hydraulics, I've used a hedge trimmer pump bit over kill but plenty of oil flow:001_smile: but if you could get a pump off an old 3 point digger would be ideal and possibly tank and pipes etc make it a cheap conversion,

DSCF4220_zpsaaa21345.jpg

Ive converted mine to pto pump it's a lot better than the tractor hydraulics, I've used a hedge trimmer pump bit over kill but plenty of oil flow:001_smile: but if you could get a pump off an old 3 point digger would be ideal and possibly tank and pipes etc make it a cheap conversion,

DSCF4220_zpsaaa21345.jpg

i need one of these to go on the 35