cheap 4x4

polish pete

I'm sure it's been asked many times but maybe I'll get few more interesting facts from here:001_smile:

I'm looking for a cheap 4x4 mainly just to get tools and myself to place of work. From time to time I get a job when I need to tow a chipper or a trailer of wood.

This will be a second vehicle mainly for work. I've read good opinions about off road capabilities of Suzuki Vitara, but it's only 1.6 petrol, probably good for a small trailer but will it be any good with towing a chipper? Second choice is Daihatsu Fourtrak, 2.8 diesel, farmers' favorite towing machine. Another one was Hilux Surf but I hate automatics and almost all of them have problems with windows at the back.

What would be a reasonable vehicle for around £1500?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suzuki Jimny. Love mine.

Will go almost anywhere a Landy will. And fit though smaller gaps etc.

Fixed that for you :biggrin:

But that's where I'd put my £1500 I reckon. We had one a while ago and it was great. Only sold it because we needed something more "normal" for SWMBO to go to work in when she started orking further away

Discoveries are great but usually need welding doing on the bodies.

Jimny might not tow a huge amount (can't remember exactly but sure it was around 1.25T) but do handle it OK.

Better on fuel tan a vitara too.

Only problems we discovered to be common (an might only apply to the pre VVT ones) were the bottom pulley delaminates (£100 from suzuki for a new one) and the cam and crank sensors usually go somewhere around 60-80K (about £120 for both).

Rot wise, check the rear seatbelt mounts and the boot floor where the litle cubby is - nothing like as bad as a discovery does and dead easy to plate if they did need doing.

I would highly recommend a 1.6 injection vitara,

I bought mine for £500 with no mot,

Took it to garage for pre mot check,

They said it was the tidiest vitara chassis they had ever seen and all it needed was a bonnet spring to pass mot,

👍

I went for the soft top

Gave it a full service, ply lined the back out to make it into a "pickup"

Added a window out of Perspex for reversing, coated the ply in black gloss ,

Added a 2" suspension lift,

Chunky Marix puma tyres,

Spotlights, 2000kg winch, rear roll age for lamping,

Bash plate, snorkel, new custom exhaust and it was a beast!!!!

Very good engines,

Went to a riphay scuffle in Somerset and it went everywhere my mates lr 90 went I mean everywhere, they are awsome!!ImageUploadedByArbtalk1378718269.311476.jpg.ce279a18a15a770565aacc0fe56d99f1.jpg

Bloody brilliant Offroad, more pole than a jimmy,

Get one you will love it

Parts can be got from bits 4 vits,

Etc

Great truck

( mrs in the passenger seat lol before I get any remarks )

Josh