Macs .....are they any good?

Ian C

Running 2003 PowerBook G4 here. Still worth £100-£150. Does everything I ask without hassle of any kind.

Do a search, there's loads of threads on this. On pretty much any forum too!

It's like buying a new Husky/Stihl vs a new Chinky saw.

G4 eh? thats done some work for you, well done.

I recall having a bunch of G4s on the network at a certain Mickey Mouse company I used to work for, initially I thought there were only half a dozen by the almost non existent support calls, turned out there were about 80! mostly 2 processor jobs with maxed out ram.

N

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

G4 eh? thats done some work for you, well done.

I recall having a bunch of G4s on the network at a certain Mickey Mouse company I used to work for, initially I thought there were only half a dozen by the almost non existent support calls, turned out there were about 80! mostly 2 processor jobs with maxed out ram.

N

If it's some serious power cheap that you require, I'd be tempted by one of the last 2.5GHZ quad core G5s (2008 I think). As they're pre-Intel and stuck on a legacy operating system (still perfectly good with ample software available) you can pick one up maxed out to 8GB with 2x 1TB HDD for £200-250. Some shipped with a 512MB graphics card as well. I'm constantly tempted, but I don't really need it! Would be awesome for photos as well as general stuff.

Those dual processor G4s are good, I have a 1GHZ dual with 2GB ram- they can be picked up for around £40 all day long, and I would recommend anyone looking to ditch their Windows box and dabble in Mac starts with one of them- at that money how can you loose? Run both with the one monitor/keyboard/mouse until you see the light (should take about a day) :thumbup:

Hi Doobin,

I have a 2006 Mac Pro, 2 * dual core Xeons, 24Gb ram with WD Velociraptor & 2.0 Gb disk for Time machine, fast graphics card I cant recall, runs Snow Leopard at the mo as Im not going to change OS - whips the ass off most 'modern' PCs.

Main use is photography & Office apps iwork etc with some compatibility testing for clients so have lots of test versions of windows on VMWare fusion - when Windows fails you just re-load the VM its up and running in the time it takes to click 'restore VM' & make tea! Can run side by side in different workspace. Still do some Access programming for which I use Win2000.

NAS Storage is handled by QNAP 459 Pro runs on Linux with a pair of 2.0Tb WD reds in raid 1.

Incidentally, I do prefer to use Thunderbird over the Mac Mail program Ive used Tb for years & its more configurable.

Found this article seems a fair comparison as a lot of posters ask about it:

15 reasons Macs are still better than Windows PCs

N

Edited by NFG

If you are prepared to change the way you do things & learn how to use a computer differently (i.e moving to Mac) , keep your existing laptop, buy a solid state disk to replace the hard disk & install Ubuntu Linux. Total cost £40 - 240 depending on size of solid state disk bought. You will be amazed at the speed & responsiveness compared to Windows on the same machine.

PS A few years ago I had a Mac Book Air for work, & when I brought it home my son looked at it & said "I never knew you were gay" :biggrin: I couldn't take to the Mac at all, though several times better than Microsoft's crap.

I went from PC to Mac 5 years ago and its honestly the best decision that I ever made. I was so sick of my PC running slow and Day to day running problems. I can honestly say in 5 yearsi have hadaround 2 problems with the Mac

I love mine and would never ever go back

Ward 19

Infection & Tropical Diseases