i have to praise you all who split wood

predator

this is my 3rd year mauling with a log burner and must say anyone who chops/splits there own wood and/or sells it works very very hard for the rewards ie moneys they recieve for doing this kind of work i take my hat off to you all . I have built my own petrol splitter and very lucky (SO FAR ) to get my wood for nowt but god after diesel for my jeep travel picking the stuff up a big trailer chainsaws/chains petrol the ache,s n pains for days after sore joints etc & it costs a fortune oh forgot storage for seasoning the bills mount up very very fast and the handling/loading unloading etc its very hards work i,am at the moment trying to split it as i unload to save double handling etc i go home absolutly finished right down to cant get my clothes off there soaked through with all the work toiling splitting big rings all day and now at 50 years old i feel it after being a diesel fitter/truck/plant driver in all weathers its took its toll on my body i get the lot no grip in my hands pins n needles my joints get very painful too so well done to you all who after droppin trees all day then go back to the yard n start splitting for a few hrs i dont know how you do it and deserve more in my book you work too hard i think

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

this is my 3rd year mauling with a log burner and must say anyone who chops/splits there own wood and/or sells it works very very hard for the rewards ie moneys they recieve for doing this kind of work i take my hat off to you all . I have built my own petrol splitter and very lucky (SO FAR ) to get my wood for nowt but god after diesel for my jeep travel picking the stuff up a big trailer chainsaws/chains petrol the ache,s n pains for days after sore joints etc & it costs a fortune oh forgot storage for seasoning the bills mount up very very fast and the handling/loading unloading etc its very hards work i,am at the moment trying to split it as i unload to save double handling etc i go home absolutly finished right down to cant get my clothes off there soaked through with all the work toiling splitting big rings all day and now at 50 years old i feel it after being a diesel fitter/truck/plant driver in all weathers its took its toll on my body i get the lot no grip in my hands pins n needles my joints get very painful too so well done to you all who after droppin trees all day then go back to the yard n start splitting for a few hrs i dont know how you do it and deserve more in my book you work too hard i think

Aye ,

That sounds like my life , and I'm bit older than you too . :001_tt2:

K

thanks for the replys they made me chuckle lol

i have given some of my logs away to 3 friends on mine" when i,ve been mithered and they have gone out got woodburner etc out the 4 people who had them only 2 have now lol makes me chuckle and i wait after they have done an hr or so on a axe etc. I usuall get a call there knackered or have smashed something mostly cracked flags or a lump of board out the shed door lol or asleep in there chair lol when i ring up to see how they got on or given up. Thats why i said i take my hat off to you all its really hard work on the whole handling/ splitting wood to make any moneys you have dam well earned it in my book . Also at the end of the day love the bit being outside sat on a stump listening to the sound of silence on my plot watching the birds etc oh and i,ve got bats now too yes i know i,am bats too lol

thanks for the replys they made me chuckle lol

i have given some of my logs away to 3 friends on mine" when i,ve been mithered and they have gone out got woodburner etc out the 4 people who had them only 2 have now lol makes me chuckle and i wait after they have done an hr or so on a axe etc. I usuall get a call there knackered or have smashed something mostly cracked flags or a lump of board out the shed door lol or asleep in there chair lol when i ring up to see how they got on or given up. Thats why i said i take my hat off to you all its really hard work on the whole handling/ splitting wood to make any moneys you have dam well earned it in my book . Also at the end of the day love the bit being outside sat on a stump listening to the sound of silence on my plot watching the birds etc oh and i,ve got bats now too yes i know i,am bats too lol

When I 1st Started working for Bruce.B I Mauled a heap of wood all day long for him for a month 2 Winters ago. Gets you fit and accuracy gets better with experience just like anything else . Always good to see people appreciate the Hard Work that Splitting involves. Hydraulic Splitting Is OK, for Production of Bigger/Dence rings .. Less satisfaction though. (In my pics is the Largest Pile of wood ive "chucked" in a day) All Manually From Collecting the rings to Carring em 30m to the block.. All with a Maul Axe...Kept me rather warm, lol

Personally I find it knackers you out, buggers up your joints and causes Random Capitalization. :lol:

:laugh1: It does if the heads too heavy for the Arms and Shoulders .. ALOT of people dont realise its more technique & motion that splits the wood .. Instead they go Hercules Size Mauls and dont stand confurtably. (Bending of the knees whilst going into a 'Samurai BEGIN Stance' .. As the mauls coming down) Is my way. Legs take vibrations off the Top Of The Body ive found, Makes for less energy needed to Split :thumbup1:

I have to say I keep my physical handling absolutely minimal. I have to admit I have quite a lot of joint pains from rheumatism and have also recently found out my lowest disc is slightly out (has been for ages apparently) as well as just getting over plantar fasciitis so I cannot stay on my feet too long or my nerve pain becomes too bad.

Saying all that, using a processor, a bobcat to bring logs to processor, to process logs into 1m3 net bags or in heaps on concrete. I load up with a bobcat and have a tipping trailer. This way even though I am almost handicapped I can still operate. I am very lucky as I have a big shed to use though. Its funny to think physically I could not climb a Munro at the moment or do a job that involves standing but can operate my firewood business without straining myself!

597665fb74786_Bobcatloading.jpg.7e1043b3da1b683363881a914940415a.jpg

597665fb7187a_Ventedbags.jpg.7a40a0b2ad6aee063d1d1e5b29152ffa.jpg

597665fb6edc5_photo(8).jpg.6140b9a30bc5a18e776d6edc789b18c5.jpg