hidden in weeds

hedgesparrow

Hedgesparrow,

You've got your last post all muddled up and have the details of 2 separate VC holders mixed in together.

One is Sir Lewis Stratford Halliday who has a headstone in Medstead.

The other is Israel Harding who is buried in Highland Road Cemetery, Portsmouth.

Edited by WirralBoy
Edit to correctly spell Medstead.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i looked at the boxer rebelion exert i foundBoxer Rebellion - The Legation Quarter Under Attack:

In June 1900, the Boxers, along with parts of the Imperial Army, began attacking foreign embassies in Beijing and Tianjin. In Beijing, the embassies of Great Britain, the United States, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Russia, and Japan were all located in the Legation Quarter near the Forbidden City. Anticipating such a move, a mixed force of 435 marines from eight countries had been sent to reinforce the embassy guards. As the Boxers approached, the embassies were quickly linked into a fortified compound. Those embassies located outside of the compound were evacuated, with the staff taking refuge inside.

On June 20, the compound was surrounded and attacks began. Across town, the German envoy, Klemens von Ketteler, was killed trying to escape the city. The following day, Cixi declared war on all of the Western powers, however her regional governors refused to obey and a larger war was avoided. In the compound, the defense was led by the British ambassador, Claude M. McDonald. Fighting with small arms and one old cannon, they managed to keep the Boxers at bay. This cannon became known as the "International Gun," as it had a British barrel, an Italian carriage, fired Russian shells, and was served by Americans. can now see why he was awarded the VC 435 marines againts 20.000 boxers some going to defeat that lot. yes i copied and pasted and i see it posted two should be Haliday in meadstead. can not find the others though will need to do some looking into

The Boxer Rebellion:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_Rebellion

see also 'Opium Wars'.

Both were the beginning of the end of Chinese dynastic power and internal government. The 'O.Ws.' and the 'B.R.' were both ploys to settle both power and governance away from the 'Qing (common pronunciation is Ching) Dynasty', of a land rich in natural resources, (and a cheap moveable workforce) which the western powers, near eastern powers and Japan were unwilling to pay for or trade with fairly. Also, both wars led to the subjugation of the Chinese peoples; making them third class citizens in their own land until the communists took control.

This is a much simplied potted history but there is a wealth of recorded history out there, for those that wish to learn. Now back to the trees.

Edited by TGB

Hey Hedgesparrow,

I hope you return back to your thread and read this.

If you've found four unkempt and overgrown graves of VC recipients, it may be worth getting in touch with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission (CWGC - Homepage) to let them know. They may take on their ongoing upkeep to ensure that the graves are kept tidy and the sacrifice of the occupants is not forgotten.

I had to strim an overgrown graveyard in Walkden, Salford a couple of weeks ago. All of the graves were overgrown and some had dissappeared completely from view under weeds, brambles, ivy and litter. All, that is except for a few graves and headstones dotted around the site that were kept immaculately clean and tidy.

On closer inspection, they were all war graves from the 1st and 2nd World Wars. The 1st WW graves were all army guys that had returned to blighty injured but then subsequently died from their wounds. And nearly all the 2nd WW graves were members of the RAF, I'm guessing aircrew that did'nt survive sorties over occupied Europe though their aircraft managed to limp home.

I got chatting to an old boy whilst I was there, and I asked him about the graves, and he told me that someone from the CWGC comes once a month to make sure all of the war graves were kept constantly clean and tidy.

I was deeply touched, and after strimming the other graves around them, I made a great effort to rake all of the cuttings off each to ensure that they were left as neat and tidy as before I started. I shall be digging extra deep come this years poppy appeal.