What 3 ground saws would you have?

jamesd

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh, I get you chris. Then again thinking of it, I wouldn't of bought the 650, just gone straight to 660.

Not that it really matters, but was there a reason for getting the 650 and not the 660?

I've not told you the full story....

The reason I bought the 650 was because I had a big ash to come down, this is going back a few years, the biggest saw I had then was a 044, so went to Gustharts the day before the job and they didn't have a 660 or 880 in stock, biggest they had was the 650 so I was pushed into making the decision that I wouldn't have go e for given the choice

Lol! And the rest was history as they say!

I guess in a situation like that its got to be done, but in the world of a tree climber it's all about having the most amount of power in the tree from the lightest saw, so some of these lesser powered versions of the same saw always seem pointless to me. Often there's only a few quid difference to the next size up too, so unless budgets are so tight I can't see the point of getting the lower powered one. Your situation was needs must of course.

It might just be me (and I am pretty non-biased, I've always run both Stihl and Husky) but it seems that Stihl can only make good big saws now.

I don't think anyone has a bad word to say about the 660. It is an awesome saw, and will pull a 36" if you ask it to.

Huskys seem to be the go-to saw now, including topper.

My 3 five years ago would have been 361, 440, 660.

Now it would be 560, 572, 660.

I worked for years with a 254 and a 385, still have both, the 385 still going strong, and the 254 soon to return from spud having been tweaked. Both great saws.

I have to say that the Makita / dolmar 7901 IS a serious alternative to the 460 / 372...