Hydraulic oil pump seal?

Woodcrafter

Hi all engine running nicley on the splitter now but now has a hydraulic oil leak from the pump coming out from the drive shaft. I've removed the pump and there's a rubber seal around the drive shaft but Its well attached and I didn't want to force/pick it out without some advice. Should I attempt this repair or take it to someone?

Thanks

I'm not sure that seal will be the problem, its probably just to keep dirt and dust out, not oil in.

I think the problem will be inside the pump.

Seals are available, I rebuilt a pump on my mog, the seal was £70 and fixed the problem (it had overheated and melted the plastic internals) a new pump was £450, so I was very pleased.

Hi it's on a custom built log splitter it's been professionally made its run by a 6.5hp Honda engine I've found a replacement pump for £140 so hoping that it was going to be a cheap enough repair to not warrant the replacement.

I'll get some pics up this afternoon. thanks for replies.

I had an oil seal go on a hydraulic log splitter, the manufacturer (Metabo) was of very little help. In the end, I contacted L&S Engineers with a photo + dimensions of the failed seal and they posted me some replacements which are now installed and working fine. I have always had very good service from L&S, highly recommended.

Some hydraulic pumps are easy to repair, and some will not.its pot luck. On my crushers, I have to take the engine out and disconnect the hydraulics, which is an hours job each way. Ifyour pump I easy to get at, try replacing the seal first. Its will cost pence rather than pounds