Lime tree TPO's

Grahamf

Just to clear the terminology

A pollard is a much greater measure than a reduction. Its generally a removal of all branch material back to the main stem.

Since protected trees are involved you might want to consider some professional input on site.

An arboricultural consultant would be able to advise you and if needed (sounds like it is) a report to BS 5837 (trees in relation to construction) to be submitted as support to your planning application.

:thumbup:

+1

Quite often when rear garden trees are TPO'd, they council include a number of trees from adjoining or nearby gardens, is this the case here?. If so, then your trees must be seen in context with the wider area.

It doesn't matter now, why the TPO was served, it sounds like it is established and no doubt confirmed and as such stands. The opportunity to object was when the TPO was served.

It may not be what you want to read but when you bought the house, you knew the trees were TPO'd and it was therefore your responsibility to research what this means and how the trees will affect you and how you want to live in the future. It would be the same if I bought a listed building and then decided that new modern windows and a porch is required.

Paying for an experienced consultant to give you independent advice may be the way forward. There are often engineering solutions to ground issues (roots and foundations)and with a long term management of the crowns, there may be a way forward. A good consultant will be someone who has dealt with local authorities on a wide variety of tree related issues and can negotiate on your behalf to navigate your needs through the planning process. You cannot garantee to get everything you want but a compromise which balances your needs with the needs of the trees may be found.

Would welcome some advice

I have about 20 lime trees in my back garden all subject to TPO's .

Some of these trees are about 40feet high and block out sun in the back garden plus makes it difficult to grow plants.The council refuses to allow the crown to be reduced and only allows pollarding.

We are thinking of having an extension but am concerned about how close the extension will be to the trees in terms of root damage but also blocking out the light.

Is there any advice out there on how to approach council to take a more sympathetic view?

Thanks

hi Graham ,where about are these trees?:thumbup1:

Do the council state that a pollard is permitted or a re-pollard.

If its a re-pollard, that would explain reluctance to allow a reduction.

Sent with my iPhone from me, to you!

I thought a " French " pollard was all the way back to the main stem leaving a stick which then sprouts on the top of the stick . An ordinary pollard is more like a reduction and when " re pollarded " usually back to the old wound points . ?

I thought a " French " pollard was all the way back to the main stem leaving a stick which then sprouts on the top of the stick . An ordinary pollard is more like a reduction and when " re pollarded " usually back to the old wound points . ?

Never heard of a French Pollard before. I thought all pollards were back to the main stem. :confused1: Agree with your definition of a re-pollard though.

Be interested to hear of other pollarding terms, French or otherwise, its not something I know much about.

Never heard of a French Pollard before. I thought all pollards were back to the main stem. :confused1: Agree with your definition of a re-pollard though.

Be interested to hear of other pollarding terms, French or otherwise, its not something I know much about.

I think (repeat think!) by French pollard they are referring to a way of allowing side ways growth, usually with Planes, and cutting the shoots that grow upwards back to the horizontal to maximize the shade.

Might be wrong though:001_smile:

I think (repeat think!) by French pollard they are referring to a way of allowing side ways growth, usually with Planes, and cutting the shoots that grow upwards back to the horizontal to maximize the shade.

Might be wrong though:001_smile:

I pretty sure your right Le, just google French pollard an you'll see.