Lowering device.

High Scale

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An important detail which I think is important is Greg Good's Pig Tail.

This allows quick on and off, and doesn't jump off the hook.

Very difficult to bend the rod into the proper spiral, so I called Greg and had him send me one.

Have you had the rope pop off yours kimtree?

Also with the GRCS, the 'visor' attachment which allows the base plate to be inserted into the tree to keep it from sliding up the trunk, is attached with a simple rod which you can pull in and out.

Makes putting it on and off the base plate a matter of seconds. No bolts.

Kimtree is their any reason why you bolted the winch to your base plate instead of making a plate which you can slide in and out of the base plate?

How heavy is your device in comparison to the GRCS?

In my Jr. Grcs, I used one 10,000 lb. ratcheting load strap. Makes it easier to set up and plenty strong

so is the pig tail essential? im havin visions of building somthing simular but using the porta awrap instaed of the bollard supplied with the grcs,my groundy as spent time workin in oz and cant believe we dont use that sorta system more often but i aint spending 1500 on a gcrs when i can buy a harken winch for 500 and get the welding for free

Oh not another bloody CE debate!

CE is a requirement when you retail an item to an end user. As long as you dont plan to fabricate and sell them, you can make one and use it with impunity.

Correction - CE is not even a legal requirement - it just means that any item bearing it has passed certain regulatory processes. Its not even a dead cert, as loads of really crap chinese equipment (generators and power tools spring to mind) have CE marks that are totally invalid. But how do you sue a chinese company for selling a faulty piece of equipment that you bought from a man in a van or at a market? you cant, so everything from cheap tractors to power drills wears an invalid CE mark.

A pig tail is not a 'requirement'. As KimTree & Myself have demonstrated in our posts.

Kimtree has a hook, and I have a pig tail. Both work for the job.

I think it is important for folk to realize that what has been pictured here are two different devices that ARE CUSTOM MADE.

Correction - CE is not even a legal requirement - it just means that any item bearing it has passed certain regulatory processes.

Here's some relevant stuff from a report regarding CE etc. Find attachment.

Homemade devices can save you money for sure, if you have the proper means to fabricate them. You might even be able to improve the design of an existing product currently on the market.

However, if one of your employees gets hurt using your tool, then in the UK at least, you had better have your paper work in order to prove that you complied with any relevant legislation. Otherwise I doubt that your insurance company would be willing to back you up; and these people dont just take your word for it either. You know the rest. Nice job on both kits though:icon14:

impeller- (conformance report).pdf

I would really like this lowering device grcs i think you call it.

But how on earth is it worth nearly £2000 Stihls most expensive saw is by far chepaer. Its the price of a second hand stump grinder.

This is the only reason i wont buy it its extortion how is a piece of metal plate with a drum and some ratchet straps worth that much it probly cost

£100 to make.

I mean no offence by my comment and im sure there more to it than a simple metal plate.

But could the maker surely offer a more sensible price and im sure many more would buy it.

You obviously know nothing about the grcs, how its made and how its works.

Otherwise you would know why it costs as much as it does.

Why dont you buy a metal plate, a drum and some ratchet straps and try taking down a tree with them instead of slagging off other peoples hard work and engineering skills.

This is the only reason i wont buy it its extortion how is a piece of metal plate with a drum and some ratchet straps worth that much it probly cost

£100 to make.

But could the maker surely offer a more sensible price and im sure many more would buy it.

Why even bother with tree work?

Why not golf instead?

Here is a driver for only... Price: £1600.00!

:icon14::proud:

vega_rafcm_raw_2692007.jpg.980d1e9dfaae827da4ef9f13fe9646ab.jpg