How to deal with non payers

Phil71

I have always used CCJs, however they can be ignored. What you then have to do is go back to court and get a bailiff's order, then put bailiff's in. However baliffs are limited in what they can take.

95% of the time quiet pleasant persistence pays off.

Another legal option is if you know who the debtors employer is what's called a garnishee order. This is served on the debtors employer by the court forcing him to pay any wages due to the debtor to the court instead.

A

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as said already persistence is the main tool to use!

keep turning up at there address or premises with an over due invoice & politely asking if they can pay you today or if setting up a payment scheme via direct debit would help them

if I have a bad or slow payer I will call in every time I am in there area or passing by even if I have the family in the car etc.

I was advised by a guy who I sub contracted for to add on the bottom of my invoices a set of terms & conditions of payment & if the invoice was not settled within a set time that a 10% late payment fee would be added to the invoice

in his words its what the inland revenue do & it works for them!

he also said to add that all materials remain my property until all invoices are paid in full & that all waste remains there property until all invoices are paid in full

that way you are legally covered to recover unpaid for materials & you can tip there waste back on there property even if it is 8 tons of s***e as described above!

I have gone down the ccj route before with 2 clients & would not bother with it again as it was an extra expense & they still did not pay!!! even when the bailiffs got involved!!

if I ever fail to recover the payment my self in the future I would not hesitate to sell the invoice to a debt recovery agency

a neighbour was having trouble getting payment for some internal joinery work he had done he tried all above he could not gain access to the clients property legally as he did not have a key he threatened with county court & the guy laughed at him & said he had got away with not paying several ccj`s ( my neighbour knew what trouble I had had with ccjs)

a few days later a company called him touting for trade asking if he had any unpaid invoices or slow payers he told them the crack with his non payer

they bought the invoice off him for 10% less than it was for & paid him straight away

it was a small loss but he got most of his money off the job with zero hassle!