Large beech butt

JonnyP

I have a job which may involve taking down a rather larger, 7-8ft diameter 8-10ft high, dead beech butt. Little bit of dry rot on one side (4 inches in from the outside) any idea what it may be worth to mill? Or if its better off for just firewood? Any ballpark figures would be good so I can talk to the customer about it.

I'm in Northumberland.

Thanks. Jonny

I love working with beech, but I'm lead to believe its not that easy to sell when milled. Would make some awesome table tops if you could find a way to mill full width, but that's unlikely. As for value, its worth what you can get for it. It's likely to cost around 250-300 to get it milled by a swing mill. And your probably looking at about 3000-4000 of timber if you can sell it at good money. Worth a lot more than that at woodyard prices. But like I say beech is hard to shift.

BTW these prices can only be achieved when fully seasoned or kilned.

Edited by muttley9050

The main thing I was wondering is if it would be possible to mill full width. Like you say muttley would make some damn good table tops!! Even milled at half width would be some nice planks.

Yes, kind of.

It's over the capacity of any mill I'm aware of, but I have had some success slabbing boards off vertically, freehand with a chainsaw using an 090 with an 88inch bar. You need a bar at the minimum halfway across but better if you can go straight through. You need to assume some inaccuracy and cut thick, then set yourself up for a lot of truing up with a power plane, but it can be done.

If you halve it, a standard large Alaskan mill will do it.

Alec

Just to give an idea how big this damn thing is here's a quick couple videos.

Second one I've got the 660 with 36" bar and it only just made it in one go.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iRl6wiHmfx0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3cNnMndCIz0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorry the quality is so crap, mobile phone.