friction saver

John Shutler

Here you go telhol, this is the only pic i have of a set up of mine.

The pic was taken a while ago but i use a similar setup now.

I believe you are trying advancing above your hitch, you can do it with this set up but i struggle to get the loop short enough to stop "fall back" after advancing.

I also have no small ring on the cambium saver, and clip a pully onto it instead. As pete says there are advantages for using a maillon, but i only use a carab. This means you can use your climbing line for an attatchment point while climbing the tree, carrying your cambium saver on your back. Then clip it onto your line when you set your anchor. This particularly helps if you have an eye on your rope that doesnt go through the small ring easily.

Hope thats useful, anyway heres the pic;

picscamera5806002hg2.jpg

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting!!!

I have always climbed with the traditional 2-ring cambium saver! I recently tried the ART Rope Guide and i found that when ascending within the tree it is much more difficult to hold my weight with one hand whilst tending the slack of a vt friction hitch. I find ascent much easier with a little more friction above like provided by the 2-ring cambium saver or a natural crotch! I also find that due to the lack of friction in the rope guide my VT tends to bind and lock up much more then with the 2-ring cambium saver! I would appreciate some feedback from all you guys who say its worth the money, cos i think i must be missing something!! But on decents and limb walks, its awesome! Look forward to hearing your guys feedback!

Ed

hi ed, for a start welcome to the forum.

you say your v.t locks up. did you change anything about your v.t when you switched to the rope guide? maybe you should play around with wrap combinations, maybe try a different cord. it shouldnt be locking up on you like that.

one thing that makes all the difference in holding your weight is a decent pair of gloves. if you're njot already using them i suggest you go buy yourself some sticky builders type gloves, tghey will transform the ease with which you climb