Unemployed? It seems you're not alone!

sloth

Today is my last day working for a well respected outdoor/ski retailer, I was employed as a manager. On my first day when I signed my contracted I found that the pay did not include holiday pay. Would have been nice to have been told that when you offered the job I said, oh that's normal, tesco's do it was the reply. Signed the contract coz I had no choice, I have left at the first opertunity .

It was a labour government who allowed zero hours contracts, the party of the working man?

W$#nkers.

Given that paid holidays in an employment (ie not self-employed) contract is a statutory entitlement set out in the EU Directive on Working Time 1998, requiring all employees to have four weeks paid leave over each year, what was their reason for this? :confused1:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think one of the problem is that people rely on sitting at home, applying for advertised vacancies, and waiting for a call.

If you want to work, you have to make the effort to find it. Write to enough people, go into shops, factories, workshops, sell yourself, offer trial days. If you are hard working, reliable and sensible, you're already in the top 25%, and you should be an asset to somebody.

There will always be work if you spend your time actively trying to find it.

I agree 100% Marti, but it really does not pay some people to go to work. The system itself is so flawed. Who in their right mind goes to work when there is a chance of more money for doing nothing? When I was ill a couple of years ago, I was getting ESA, I couldn't believe how well off I was, for no effort. I'm not a lazy person, nor a scrounger and after 4months claiming, I decided to stop and return to work. The assessors were shocked, I was entitled to claim for much longer, why put yourself through all that suffering when there is help there? I had to really be persuasive to get them to believe I didn't want to continue claiming. A lot of folk would have said oh alright then, sod it.

Given that paid holidays in an employment (ie not self-employed) contract is a statutory entitlement set out in the EU Directive on Working Time 1998, requiring all employees to have four weeks paid leave over each year, what was their reason for this? :confused1:

To get round that pesky law they pay your holiday pay up front as part of your hourly rate, this is helpful for people on very short contracts and bumps there pay up. But for a long term contract it's a nightmare. And no the hourly is not higher then normal. So if you take holiday you loss a weeks pay that month.

I've had a few guys lined up for trials days that simply haven't bothered to turn up.

Others that haven't turned up to an arranged chat (in lieu of a formal interview)

One guy at least let me know he had changed his mind having applied for the job from his current location on the other side of the country.

Another just changed his mind - unfortunately he had told me he was currently out of work so I checked his references, only to find he is, oops.

others with a very basic list of tickets and minimal experience have wanted what I would consider to be very large salaries to jump their current ship - perhaps just chancing their arm for a worthwhile pay rise??

the daft thing is that for most of these guys, as long as they presented themselves well and were clearly not a complete moron would have received a job offer.

I know for one or two they were likely just going through the motions to retain their jobseekers allowance for Christmas.

oh well

If you really want a job then you will do what it takes, that means not taking no for an answer. I was unemployed for a while before I found tree surgery and after calling every tree surgery company around and being told they have no work for me I had enough of being cut short so I went down to one of the companies offices, and waited till the boss was back in the yard and told him who i was and that i want to work for him by volunteering. He couldnt say no to free labour and after 2 weeks he started paying me and got me on the books. People now adays dont want to work for free they cant see the bigger picture, they just want things handed to them on a plate i.e free money from job seekers. it annoys me so much. People without a job shouldnt rely on other people they should get off there arse and do what it takes to make you stand out from the rest. I can now see the rewards from the hard work IVE put in and from the 4500 I had to borrow to get my level 3 deploma. Wish some people in this country would wake up.

That is all :)

If you really want a job then you will do what it takes, that means not taking no for an answer. I was unemployed for a while before I found tree surgery and after calling every tree surgery company around and being told they have no work for me I had enough of being cut short so I went down to one of the companies offices, and waited till the boss was back in the yard and told him who i was and that i want to work for him by volunteering. He couldnt say no to free labour and after 2 weeks he started paying me and got me on the books. People now adays dont want to work for free they cant see the bigger picture, they just want things handed to them on a plate i.e free money from job seekers. it annoys me so much. People without a job shouldnt rely on other people they should get off there arse and do what it takes to make you stand out from the rest. I can now see the rewards from the hard work IVE put in and from the 4500 I had to borrow to get my level 3 deploma. Wish some people in this country would wake up.

That is all :)

Good on you fella!

It pisses me off when you see "so called" graduates being interviewed about employment prospects and they think they're too qualified for "that type of work." If they've loafed off work at uni for years avoiding paying tax and dicking around on some meaningless course it's time to get a job, any job!