Crazy prices

farmer_ben

What's the tacho issue? I'm sure you don't need a tacho to pull a trailer of logs?

If you are getting paid for them it comes under "Hire and Reward'. You do need a tacho, abide by drivers hours regs, rest periods etc and keep your last six weeks discs for roadside inspections. Thats it though, no op center, no cpc, no six week inspections. That covers any vechicle pulling a trailer that when fully loaded has a train weight of over 3.5 tonnes. So a BMW 5 series with a piddly trailer would also need a tacho if over 3.5 and doing work for hire & reward.

If you are pulling timber that you have cut yourself back to your base for your own use and you are within 30 miles as the crow flies then maybe you could get away with arguing your case.

The Police and Ministry are pulling a lot of IFW type trailers in, I got pulled off the M6 near Birmingham, no I did not have a tacho, I do now though.

A

Edited by Alycidon

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are getting paid for them it comes under "Hire and Reward'. You do need a tacho, abide by drivers hours regs, rest periods etc and keep your last six weeks discs for roadside inspections. Thats it though, no op center, no cpc, no six week inspections. That covers any vechicle pulling a trailer that when fully loaded has a train weight of over 3.5 tonnes. So a BMW 5 series with a piddly trailer would also need a tacho if over 3.5 and doing work for hire & reward.

If you are pulling timber that you have cut yourself back to your base for your own use and you are within 30 miles as the crow flies then maybe you could get away with arguing your case.

The Police and Ministry are pulling a lot of IFW type trailers in, I got pulled off the M6 near Birmingham, no I did not have a tacho, I do now though.

A

Thats pretty much what vosa said to me now I'm glad i went for the tacho in the new van £1,500 to get one fitted if I keep the current van. most of the merchants round here are using trailers so it will be interesting to see what happens next couple of months. just gotta wait on the paperwork for cards now something the salesman didnt tell us about. they did say it would be beneficial to get a quarterly service done on the trailer as well curious what you service on one of these other than kick the tyres. plan is with the hydraulic crane i can make delivery and then lift the trailer into the back and reduce the restrictions.

Taking the thread back to silly prices.

Came across a job yesterday, high £60s a cube including VAT, well cut, nice hardwood, 3.5 cube delivered approx 35 miles, so a 70 mile round trip in a 7.5 tonner. Customer was complaining how expensive they were !!!.

Ironically I am taking logs back to within a couple of miles of that guys yard at nearly double that.

A

This thread got me worried so have been checking a few things.

Firstly this looks like a good reason to drive a good old Landrover as after doing a few sums looks like my gross train wieght with LM105 and 2m3 of dry logs is less than 3.5 ton.

"Section 5. Exemptions from EU law

vehicles used by agricultural, horticultural, forestry, farming or fishery businesses for carrying goods within 100km of where the business is based."

Would logs not be classed with forestry and farming?

Then if this was right you would be under

8. GB Domestic rules

"Exemptions

The GB Domestic rules don’t apply if:

you don’t drive on the public road, eg if you drive as part of work in road maintenance, quarrying, construction work, civil engineering works

you drive for less than 4 hours in any day"

So try to avoid driving 4 hours per day.

Edited by Woodworks

There has to be a point where forestry finishes and the (industrial?) processing of timber starts. You might be able to argue forestry if you own the forest but if it is bought in wood then it would be stretching the point wouldn't it?

There has to be a point where forestry finishes and the (industrial?) processing of timber starts. You might be able to argue forestry if you own the forest but if it is bought in wood then it would be stretching the point wouldn't it?

Fair point but most of what we sell comes off the farm hedgerows so not sure what that should be classed as.