parental advice and tips please

Stephen Blair

I can imagine James must love bath time - he's full of beans all the time!!

Is there any way you could bribe the wee man?? The swimming pool sounds a good idea, but I know what you're saying, the poor lad sounds terrified. What's uncle Stew said??

havent heard from hom on here, actually havent spoke in ages. i will give him a bell me thinks:001_smile:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SWB im not a parent so i dont really know if this will be any help but how about letting him wash your hair so he can see its not a big thing?

i dont really know if its a good idea letting a 3 1/2 yera old wash your hair but i hope you get things back on track with him.

SWB im not a parent so i dont really know if this will be any help but how about letting him wash your hair so he can see its not a big thing?

i dont really know if its a good idea letting a 3 1/2 yera old wash your hair but i hope you get things back on track with him.

all advice welcome, he used to coup the water over my head. and thought it was a laugh. i think i will get him some rubber duckies, and a set of goggles:001_smile:

Not parent myself but, when we were little my sister had the same problem and my Mum got this special hat which was basicaly a wide elasticated brim with no top, like a big frisbee with a hole for your head. you put this on and it keeps all the water off the face and neck, I seem to remember it worked.:001_smile:

This used to freak my little lad out as well, ended up either having to take a shower with him ,lifting him up to wash his hair not easy or very practical. Next solution that used to work was to get him to hold a face cloth on his forehead to stop the water/ shampoo getting in his eye's, and using a plastic jug to rinse it off,obviously by varying the height of the jug you can make a big game of it due to the mess. This sound's daft now but used to work a treat!! Now it isn't an issue , as they say it is just a phase which he will grow out of, and you and he will wonder what all the fuss was about. Good luck, they can drive you nut's at that age!!

The jelly bath is great, look's just like wallpaper paste!!!

is it the getting hair wet or washing the hair

could it be shampoo related

has he got some in his eyes did it sting

i think maybe look at what bits the cause and do not set out to wash his hair and just play with him and see if he enjoys pouring water on your head and then put a little on his type of thing

Spoken to my mum about this who is a trained nursery nurse and she can't tolerate water on her face as it causes some sort of allergic reaction. She suggests standing at side of bath without his shirt on, leaning forward over the bath with a face cloth over his eyes if he wants, put water in the bath and use a small cup or jug to pour water over his head, as little shampoo as poss, let him rub the shampoo into his hair and play with the lather as he can stand up to do this and look in the mirror etc and then rinse off with him stood over the bath again. Doing it this way he probably won't freak out at having a bath if he associates having a bath with his hair being washed as he still has clothes on when he has his hair washed. Hope this helps. It worked for me until i went to boarding school with cold showers every morning!:001_cool:

hi guys, the mrs has tried the frisby hat, fun and games, head over side, pretty much everything. he wont even take a bath now, you cant even talk about the bath without him getting upset. i think he is just wrapping us round his finger now. thanks for all the input again. i think the jelly bath will be a laugh, mrs shrek is off shopping now, so the rubber duckies, goggles and wallpaper paste is for the trolly. we are starting a sticker reward chart tonight anyway so this will feature pretty high for a top prize me thinks.

Had the same problem with my son for a couple of years. Also tried the frisbee hat too. Eventually we had him lie back and used a very small plastic beaker to wet his hare and rinse. The screaming goes on for a while and eventually he'll grow out of it. I would suggest that at 3 1/2 he's complaining about it as much as he can because he doesn't like it, I doubt he's being traumatized. As long as you guys remain calm and give him lots of cuddles afterward, eventually he'll be fine and wont be scarred for life.

At the end of the day it's not actually hurting him, but as a parent it's hard when the most precious person bar none in your life appears to be so unhappy.

Penfolds post sounded very helpful.

Either way, I think the key to a slow (because it wont be quick) change in bath time is your behavior and attitude. Almost every response young boys and men for that matter have to any given situation is attributed to observing their fathers.

Had the same problem with my son for a couple of years. Also tried the frisbee hat too. Eventually we had him lie back and used a very small plastic beaker to wet his hare and rinse. The screaming goes on for a while and eventually he'll grow out of it. I would suggest that at 3 1/2 he's complaining about it as much as he can because he doesn't like it, I doubt he's being traumatized. As long as you guys remain calm and give him lots of cuddles afterward, eventually he'll be fine and wont be scarred for life.

At the end of the day it's not actually hurting him, but as a parent it's hard when the most precious person bar none in your life appears to be so unhappy.

Penfolds post sounded very helpful.

Either way, I think the key to a slow (because it wont be quick) change in bath time is your behavior and attitude. Almost every response young boys and men for that matter have to any given situation is attributed to observing their fathers.

i think you are spot on their jas, as you know i am right into energy and aura, and he is definately feeding off me, i think we will wait till he stinks that bad, he will go for a bath himself, but being a boy plus my son, we could be in for a long wait:001_tongue::001_smile: