New woodstore for our new house

Big J

We are moving house next month from the estate we live on now to the neighbouring estate from whom I rent my business premises.

We were generally fairly happy with our living arrangements, but to cut a long story short, the estate office took exception to my plans to remove the aesthetically lacking woodstores (previously hidden by a couple of large Thuja they had removed) I'd had for 4 years and replacing them with one, smaller (in footprint) solid oak store. What's the use in giving someone permission to install wood fired heating and then claiming that the insurance won't allow a woodstore larger than 2.5 CM? Madness!

So, we've got a much nicer house, detached, half and acre of garden with an estate that I have a far better relationship with. We're putting in an 11kw Bullerjan stove in the main living room (will heat most of the house) and whilst we've not even moved in yet, we've put up the wood store.

It will hold 20 CM of timber, is fully constructed from green/semi green oak (1.5 tonnes of the stuff) and I'm very happy with it! I hadn't realised how important a wood store was to me until I was told that I couldn't have one!

66748_10152110282413136_1112384251_n.jpg

1011570_10152110282403136_829106548_n.jpg

1003343_10152110282658136_1339021132_n.jpg

And the house itself:

DSCF1229_zps03c8e399.jpg

Jonathan

Edited by Big J

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks chaps! Bear traps have been laid - we certainly don't want any for when we move in!

Merely out of curiosity, what would you reckon would be a fair price for a store like that? It's a little rough around the edges as it's only for me, but it cost £850 in materials and labour (my own labour not included) and took 4.5 days to mill, collect materials and erect.

I ask only as it would be a good summer activity to erect a few Oak stores for July when other work is quieter.

Jonathan

4.5 days of one man's time?

It should be straight forward; materials + transport to site + man hrs.

I don't know what your planned profit would be, or whether cost might be connected to a current customer or an incentive to a new one.

As for 'rough around the edges', I disagree - it's a wood store!

The only thing I would change would be those two metal straps on the front transom - you've made it too pretty for ugly straps. :biggrin:

Can't see from the pics whether there is mid span support under the lateral load bearing planks. Are you confident it won't bow and put stress on the rest of the structure. What about cross bracing, will it resist torsion, or a sideways load such as wind for instance? What have you done roof wise to keep the watery stuff out?

But have to say it looks good.

Store looks great and so does your house. I live a in a tied house and we could never get it warm in the winter, fitted a wood burner two years ago now its warm as toast. Good luck with your move.

Edited by dexta

Can't see from the pics whether there is mid span support under the lateral load bearing planks. Are you confident it won't bow and put stress on the rest of the structure. What about cross bracing, will it resist torsion, or a sideways load such as wind for instance? What have you done roof wise to keep the watery stuff out?

But have to say it looks good.

Good questions! Everything is overbuilt and braced. The floor is braced in the middle with an additional support. The main posts are 6x6, the main beams 8x2.75. There is effectively no load on the beams though as the vertical cladding if fixed every 8 inches onto the beam and then onto the beam on the floor (4x2.75) which rests on the ground and is cross braced by the floor. Each point where the wood pushes on the timber it pushes only against another piece of wood, rather than a screw fixing.

It's all screwed together with a coach screws at 70/90/160mm in length. The roof is 18mm OSB sitting on 5x2 oak beams at 600mm centres. The roof covering is heavy weight felt meticulously bitumined and tacked down.

I had considered putting a diagonal cross piece across the back but it's not required. When the store is loaded with firewood, it will in itself act as a brace. This is really the only time that it is going to be empty, and any wind can pass straight through at the moment.

Thanks for all the other responses regarding pricing - £2000 was about what I thought.

Jonathan