Chipper advise

Orchard gm

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta throw my tuppence in.

Used a Greenmech 13/23 for the last year. Bought it new after I got the Scottish rep to lend us one for a week. Same boat as you. Household jobs and lately a lot of Leylandii destruction. Instead of the petrol version, I went for the diesel and twin roller in-feed to give it a bit more oomph. Last winter we fed it Leylandii for nearly 7 hours solid in one day.

Pulled it over fields behind the Ranger. Light enough for two of you to manoeuvre easily on a driveway once off the hitch.

Eats even wet Leylandii happily unless you go out of your way to choke it. Starts every time.

Easy daily/weekly servicing, and the disc cutters are a piece of wee to rotate when they start to blunt.

Anything that is too big for this is firewood size anyway.

The new version is the 130 which I believe is diesel and twin roller as standard?

We looked at all the other equivalents at the Cirencester arb show and for ergonomics/ease of use etc we kept walking back to the Greenmech.

All I changed was the jockey wheel (too flimsy) and put on a locking hitch.

Talk to the Greenmech rep and get one for a weeks demo. I don't believe you'll regret it.

Id really like a demo of the bandit, im looking for 9" machine

Ive ran timberwolf 190's for 10 years and am now starting to look for a replacement, im either going for another 190 or vermeer bc230

But now a bandit has reared its ugly head lol

Id love to see how they perform as all ive heard is good things

I hope to hear from you soon

Chris Gill & Silky Fox

The other side of the coin is this, I have a log burner at home, so anything 3" and above I take home and log up, and to be honest most people i do work for know someone who has a sister with a great auntie who's next door neighbour had a log burner so I end up leaving the wood on site. With this in mind do I need something big and powerful? Again I was hoping that people who have a bit more experience than me might see this as no reason to buy a smaller chipper? For example I would like to get into commercial work but obviously what I would like and what is realistically obtainable are two different things. Would it be a waste of money buying a 6 or 7" turbo diesel chipper or would it be a worth buying a 4" chipper and if the commercial side started earning enough I would then just chop it in against a more substantial machine then?

Time is money I guess, if you start taking on bigger jobs and you don't get them because your chipper is not going to save time that is worth thinking about .. The tw below the 150 is an good machine its light and fast and will take up to 5" an ideal compromise??