Felling cuts

Sciadopitys

When i fell a tree i was always taught to do the first cut at 45 degrees (half way between vertical and horizontal for an upright tree), followed by a horizontal cut to make a sink or a gob.

My question is who does it in this order? Text book says do the 45 degree cut first, but i know quite a few guys who do the horizontal cut first.

I don't know why, i have always done it the way the text book says, and it has always worked fine for me. Not sure why some people do it the other way. Any answers guys?

Don't suppose it really matters that much if the cuts are accurate and the tree goes where it should do. Surely you would not fail an NPTC assessment for doing these cuts in the incorrect order?

When i fell a tree i was always taught to do the first cut at 45 degrees (half way between vertical and horizontal for an upright tree), followed by a horizontal cut to make a sink or a gob.

My question is who does it in this order? Text book says do the 45 degree cut first, but i know quite a few guys who do the horizontal cut first.

I don't know why, i have always done it the way the text book says, and it has always worked fine for me. Not sure why some people do it the other way. Any answers guys?

Don't suppose it really matters that much if the cuts are accurate and the tree goes where it should do. Surely you would not fail an NPTC assessment for doing these cuts in the incorrect order?

my trainer told me that your brain finds it easier to meet up that way, a horizontal is easier to line up, than trying to get a daigonal to meet the horizontal. if you know what i mean. i do it the same way mate, and it is easier to aim where you are going with the lines ontop of the stihls. that is how i was taught:001_smile:

• Thanks 1

my trainer told me that your brain finds it easier to meet up that way, a horizontal is easier to line up, than trying to get a daigonal to meet the horizontal. if you know what i mean. i do it the same way mate, and it is easier to aim where you are going with the lines ontop of the stihls. that is how i was taught:001_smile:

Ditto but sometimes do what the guys do out in Canada and put the angled cut in the bottom, find that easier sometimes, and then line the top up.

a smiley:scared1:i think thats what they call it, i think its to get the most out the timber mat.:001_smile:

I don't do it to get the most out of the timber or anything like that, but if you've got a real nice big mature tree to drop they seem to fell really nicely with a 'smiley'. Maybe it's just me but they seem to fall harder... we were doing it allot with big spruce near Inverness flattening big heaps of brash on a windrow.

I don't do it to get the most out of the timber or anything like that, but if you've got a real nice big mature tree to drop they seem to fell really nicely with a 'smiley'. Maybe it's just me but they seem to fall harder... we were doing it allot with big spruce near Inverness flattening big heaps of brash on a windrow.

if it works for you:001_smile:

I find a 60 degree notch gives more accuracy especially if the tree's fibres hold and there's a slight lean or its weighted to one side, pretty much use a 60 notch for all my felling on the ground.

paisley004.jpg

Willow felling for cricket bats is by all accounts the most differcult. The gob is about 10 degrees and very shallow, then the back cut comes in at the same height very quickly, This prersumably is to get the most out of the tree and to ensure less damage to the fibres as it goes over. Bit daunting tho, with out directional pull. Anyone else have any willow felling insights?

Willow felling for cricket bats is by all accounts the most differcult. The gob is about 10 degrees and very shallow, then the back cut comes in at the same height very quickly, This prersumably is to get the most out of the tree and to ensure less damage to the fibres as it goes over. Bit daunting tho, with out directional pull. Anyone else have any willow felling insights?

willow, nice and chewy. cuts like butter. never done any for cricket bats, must be a down your way kind of thing. i saw some amazing ones in essex last time i was down, all weeping growing out of bankings over rivers. picture post card stuff:001_smile: