Scotland in October

GardenKit

Go further north. The Highlands south of the Great Glen are fine, but the north west coast is where it's at for truely spectacular scenery. Get yourself to Ullapool and follow the coast all the way around to Tongue and head south again. The 'Insel' (island) mountains of Assynt are the finest in the UK (Suilven is my favourite Scottish mountain). The beaches are also second to none, the finest being Ceannabeinne 3 miles east of Durness.

If you are going to come all the way up here, you might as well see the best bits!

Nice one BJ. I was starting to think that myself, so I think thats the way we will go. I'll bet most folk go no further up than the Great Glen.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry J, beyond Ullapool is bleak and takes 40 mins to cover 10 miles!!!

Weather, who knows mate.

Mull ferry will be about £70 return I think and your original plan sounds ok.

Personally Obans just a one way bustle for ferry goers, I would give that a miss and head up Loch Lomond side, through Glencoe, to Fort William , cut through to Aviemore, do the Fenicular railway up Cairngorm, have lunch.that can be done from a 7 am start from Glasgow, if the weathers rubbish just put your foot down as its boring, but if the suns out and weathers good, take a picnic and make that trip take 3 days with a tent or B and B, the Drovers is a must on Loch Lomond side, digs are on site, breakys good and the pub cracking!!

As long as you have an IPhone you'll be fine, what to do, weather at the touch of a button.

Weather, who knows mate.

Personally Obans just a one way bustle for ferry goers, I would give that a miss and head up Loch Lomond side, through Glencoe, to Fort William , cut through to Aviemore, do the Fenicular railway up Cairngorm, have lunch.that can be done from a 7 am start from Glasgow, if the weathers rubbish just put your foot down as its boring, but if the suns out and weathers good, take a picnic and make that trip take 3 days with a tent or B and B, the Drovers is a must on Loch Lomond side, digs are on site, breakys good and the pub cracking!!

As long as you have an IPhone you'll be fine, what to do, weather at the touch of a button.

One man's bleak is another's serenely, austerely beautiful. Don't get me wrong, I love most parts of the Highlands, only that there is no where else in Europe like Sutherland.

I would avoid the Islands if this is your first trip. Calmac (who operate the ferries) have a 'Think of a price and double it' approach to their fares. I've not personally been to many for that reason. Arran is lovely, but somewhere I'd recommend once you've been to a few other places. Mull is OK, though I wasn't overly impressed.

Ullapool really is the place to be though. The Summer Isles are stunning, the mountains are unreal and Ullapool itself is charming. Here is me sat on top of Stac Pollaidh with views looking north towards Lochinver and Suilven:

408238_10152126699440181_1314523651_n.jpg

Suilven from Lochinver on another trip:

34373_10150219987070181_868471_n.jpg

Me going for a swim (at Easter!) at Ceannebeinne:

37393_10150219978785181_1907126_n.jpg

The Summer Isles (not looking too summery!):

35774_10150219997415181_3916931_n.jpg

Let me know if you want any more pointers.

Weather, who knows mate.

I'll second that, I sent many a pleasant evening at the Drovers during my time at Faslane, excellent pub & lovely drive to get there along the loch.

Try & visit the Isle of Sky if possible, the home of Talisker.

N