Business rates on yards

R5log

Forestry and agriculture come under the same bracket in law.

we had trouble with a neighbour, he complained when we where logging up tree surgery waste. When I challenged the enforcement officer about it the out come was that I could cut up as much timber as I wanted as long as it was from forestry eg cords and he could do nothing about it, But tree surgery waste was not considered agricultual or forestry waste.

So in theroy I would of thought there should be no charge

Good luck with it all

Regards

richard

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forestry and agriculture come under the same bracket in law.

we had trouble with a neighbour, he complained when we where logging up tree surgery waste. When I challenged the enforcement officer about it the out come was that I could cut up as much timber as I wanted as long as it was from forestry eg cords and he could do nothing about it, But tree surgery waste was not considered agricultual or forestry waste.

So in theroy I would of thought there should be no charge

Good luck with it all

Regards

richard

This is what i thought untill i got the bill for almost £16k!

They have rated it as code 096 Factories, Workshops and Warehouses, Would be interested to hear what others have theres rated at.

Thanks

Does help if you have over 5 hectares then classed as a farm rather than small-holding. Pay no rates on the farm only the farmhouse and even managed to get that reduced by threatening to go to tribunal. (Actually informed on the day of the tribunal that they would agree to my suggested banding)

No rates on a farm... exclamation mark

Is that true ???

No wonder theres so much business activity on farms

Does help if you have over 5 hectares then classed as a farm rather than small-holding. Pay no rates on the farm only the farmhouse and even managed to get that reduced by threatening to go to tribunal. (Actually informed on the day of the tribunal that they would agree to my suggested banding)

dont think you have to own the land either,just rent a few more acres :thumbup1:

Actually, although the money goes to the landlord and the LA, the money is well spent. The working conditions for the guys and girls are sooooooooo much better. They are the lifeblood of the company so why shouldn't we have decent accommodation. I have some really good, hard-working folk with me and to either work all day in a portacabin or work all day and come back to a cowshed is not great. The girls work in a well lit office with carpet, air conditioning and everything. (The guys have to take off boots before entering.) We have a resource room/second office and a meeting/training room. All the kit and vehicles are stored inside in the warm and dry. We have showers, toilets and kitchen facilities. We have a forward thinking company headquarters where our clients, large and small, come over for meetings or coffee and we're not embarrassed to invite them in. We have a fridge with beer and the guys chill out when the get back from grafting. It's a great place and worth the money.

I agree with you re good conditions for staff. I've spent a small fortune kitting out the old milking parlour. Kitchen, coffee machine, log burner, clothes racks. Off to the yard now, early start today and the first thing I will do is make myself brekkie! Scrambled egg with cheese I think. I prefer to eat at yard. Food and the first coffee of the day give me motivation to get down there!

My staff are both ex farm, as am I. Don't want to get too fancy now! Anything is luxury compared to your average farm.

Actually, although the money goes to the landlord and the LA, the money is well spent. The working conditions for the guys and girls are sooooooooo much better. They are the lifeblood of the company so why shouldn't we have decent accommodation. I have some really good, hard-working folk with me and to either work all day in a portacabin or work all day and come back to a cowshed is not great. The girls work in a well lit office with carpet, air conditioning and everything. (The guys have to take off boots before entering.) We have a resource room/second office and a meeting/training room. All the kit and vehicles are stored inside in the warm and dry. We have showers, toilets and kitchen facilities. We have a forward thinking company headquarters where our clients, large and small, come over for meetings or coffee and we're not embarrassed to invite them in. We have a fridge with beer and the guys chill out when the get back from grafting. It's a great place and worth the money.

Sounds canny. When can I start?