Landlord and overgrown tree advice please

Pantone

Question

Hi all

I'd really appreciate your input on my situation. I rent a lovely house which has a rather overgrown tree in the front garden.

I've spoken to the landlord and agency 4 times about it but he is adamant that it is fine and doesn't need cutting back. Well aside from the fact that we need to have the lights on all day because its so gloomy and everytime it's a bit windy the tree whacks the roof, I'm more worried about the amount of dead branches that fall off it either onto the house or front garden.

I didn't want to waste someone's time asking them to come and look when he will probably say no to getting done, but thought I would ask here first and if its a pretty unanimous "that tree is ridiculously overgrown" I'd probably start a more formal complaint with him! Could you take a look at the attached photos and see what you think?

I hope they are attached anyway, it keeps hanging when I try to upload them!

Thanks

image.jpg.0061f6ac3692382216806ce4b62fe696.jpg

• Answers 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

One could argue that there is no such thing as "an overgrown tree"...

Surely as tenants you'll not need to worry about damage to the house?

And a suggested solution, try and negotiate some hyper efficient LED bulbs, they'll take the edge of your energy bill. :smile:

Last one.

Also we have no tv reception due to interference from the tree and proximity to the arial!

If I was to call a tree surgeon and ask them to come and look at it, would that write a letter/quote saying it needed work done? (I wouldn't mind paying for it)

image.jpg.a09eb882cbf595303bbb38b58fa368a7.jpg

Last one.

Also we have no tv reception due to interference from the tree and proximity to the arial!

If I was to call a tree surgeon and ask them to come and look at it, would that write a letter/quote saying it needed work done? (I wouldn't mind paying for it)

I'm sure a tree surgeon could give you a quote letter for suggested work that would benefit the house, tv reception. The tree however wont benefit from any work being done.

Regarding your kids sleeping under it, the tree does look pretty healthy as far as can be told from the picture.

If you are happy to pay for the work to be done then I can't see the landlord rejecting this if it were put forward in a proper quote.

If it were me quoting, I was say to give the tree good crown clean to remove all deadwood, thin by approx 20 % including removal of crossing/rubbing limbs, and cut back branches immediately encroaching on the property by approx 1m.

If I may, who does the tree belong to?

It looks to be outside the hedge so I am going with an outside chance that it may belong to a third party.

If it belongs to the landlord and he wont do anything then any works will need to be funded by you and you will need the landlords permission.

If the tree belongs to a third party, and its causing damage to the property (banging on the roof) the owner needs to act to abate the nuisance.

As far as the TV signal goes, you will be fortunate if it is possible to address this with sustainable pruning.

Similarly the shade issues can be addressed to a degree by pruning however what the industry and British standard considers sustainable pruning wont give you a significant increase in light values.

Before you initiate any works you should check for statutory protection, your local authority website will have more information on Tree preservation and conservation areas.