What oil should I use

mart

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OSMO polyx is expensive, its that balance I guess between that and other oils. Id love to see some products with the polyx oil to see the difference.

If I make big bucks I may buy some but is it really worth the price?

i used to use danish oil on my skittle pins and only recently turned to polyx but have already noticed the difference.

one advantage is that i only need to lightly coat each pin once with polyx to get the same finish than i would with danish. another is that its very durable which is quite a plus considering that they will be beaten to within an inch of their life each night.

i've tried polyx on wet timber and because of the wax content of the oils it really inhibits the moisture transfer reducing splitting drasticly, i would have thought this was something desired of anoil for carvings using wet wood.

as you can see the pins that i used danish oil on (first two photos) are dull to matt in their finish and the ones with the polyx (last two photos) are almost shiny in appearence. alot of customers buy with the eye and will feel like they've got their moneys worth if the finish can make it look half decent.

if i actually took some time and added more than one coat and buffed them i reckon you could see your face in this stuff...

P1010677.jpg.d2c1a34c5613897aca488699cb081cd4.jpg

P1010658.jpg.9ae6f11c2c259ce32c2f98acaafed62d.jpg

P1010398.jpg.018baa7e8175ab84990f012a3cb08d3d.jpg

59766574b7d80_10x4.5pins..jpg.18bf7a7fd4256b9d9f9fdde8010bc6b7.jpg