Working in the upper most crown.

cerneARB

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this makes no-sense at all its because I’ve just come home from the pub….

When I’m climbing I’ll put my rope up as high as I possible can as usual. I’ll probably come down a little and then put my other end of the rope up over another anchor point, (using poles) Tie a bowline in the end and re-attach using a prusik loop into my harness. My climbing instructor called it ‘triangulating’. Its very stable, feels secure and allows you to get into a good working position. Also has the added advantage of dispersing your load over two anchors, thus reducing the chance of failure.

Basic stuff I know, but does that make sense?

It does make sense thank you, basically like having 2 climbing lines. Seems like a bit more fiddling when manoeuvring round the crown but I do like my safety so I'll have to give that a go.

Mesterh thank you for the advise, I have not ignored your warning. I ALWAYS anchor round the main stem anyway, I see no benefits in not doing. As for your view on leylandii ... maybe after god knows how many years in the trade I will share your hatred :001_tongue:

If this makes no-sense at all its because I’ve just come home from the pub….

When I’m climbing I’ll put my rope up as high as I possible can as usual. I’ll probably come down a little and then put my other end of the rope up over another anchor point, (using poles) Tie a bowline in the end and re-attach using a prusik loop into my harness. My climbing instructor called it ‘triangulating’. Its very stable, feels secure and allows you to get into a good working position. Also has the added advantage of dispersing your load over two anchors, thus reducing the chance of failure.

Basic stuff I know, but does that make sense?

That makes perfect sense John, its how I climb as well. It costs nothing to anchor twice. On crown reductions I change my anchor points as and when I need to.

This thread has become a bit too much.

Some great advice if you need to do a 10% reduction, but WHY on earth would you ever want to?

The tree won't thank you for it, and the client wouldn't see the difference.

Let's not start doing things like this to trees just to prove we can i.e. the lightest reduction competition that seems to emerge sometimes.

In nearly all cases, pruning is not good for a tree. Remember that.

What if you just have one or two rogue leaders that are powerering out way beyond the others and they are annoying the customer to a point where they just want the tips off to bring the canopy shape back.

Or bringing in a branch tiny bit by tiny bit so you dont damage something below or take out a telephone wire, many times I've been out to the tip to cut it off to roll the end over the other side of a wire.

this thread is daft the answer to most of the questions is that you should only do what is safe this should be decided before you start work (risk assesment) you should climb within your own limitations and make use of any aids/tools you have to make the job safer and easier.

every tree is different what more can you say.

Two posts in and your calling this thread daft…!? Personally I think its an excellent thread. Any exchange of techniques, working methods and ideas must be praised and encouraged.

i ment going daft

No, I mean I dont want to think about thinking about having an accident. :001_smile:

Ahh right I'm with you now :001_smile:

every tree is different what more can you say.

Yep that why someone asked about willows and received a couple of different (all valid though imo) opinions.

Better to ask if your not sure.