Big saws 880 3120 etc

swinny

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yes i think it would be best to go with the big old stih, is the 084 as popular are the parts not so obtainable as i noticed they arent quite as talked about also i mentioned a 3120 that i have looked at it is approx 2007 model are they as good on the mill as the stihl

The 084 is an 088 but with the bar mount pattern similar to the 070 and 076, most parts are interchangeable with the 088, but also the 084 had a fairly short production run, hence why they aren't as widely used.

The 3120 tends to be over shadowed as as saw also, with a tendency over the previous years for arbs to use stihl equipment, now the balance is tipping in huskys favour you might hear the 3120 is favoured, with it feeling lighter (to me).

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Don't own either, but have used both 3120 and 880, actually prefer the 880 despite having spent more time on the 3120.

On the whole felling big stuff, it gets prepped with the 66 then the back cut put in with the 3120. The prep gets done with the smaller saw partly because it's easier to be more accurate with and partly so the big saw is kept sharp for a fast back cut.

Can't remember anything we couldn't have got don with the 66 but with the 3120 it's done in a 1'er rather than beavering away from both sides with the 66.

Where I feel the 3120 really comes into it's own is ringing up a big stem.

More often than not, it takes longer to start the 3120 than it's used for - that bloody primer button is a pain in the arse! Why can't they just have a choke like a normal saw?

primer button ??? mine has`nt got one

primer button ??? mine has`nt got one

I also questioned that on an earlier post on this thread . Initially I thought hes was confusing the additional manual oiler but he said it definitely has a primer bulb . Mine has a choke like all the others I have ever seen . Recon its a mode done by user rather than a factory mod . Could be wrong .....

The 084 is an 088 but with the bar mount pattern similar to the 070 and 076, most parts are interchangeable with the 088, but also the 084 had a fairly short production run, hence why they aren't as widely used.

This I think is the problem - it's the unavailability of the handful of parts which aren't interchangeable, most notably the coil. Also, for some reason which I'm not sure of, despite the fact that you can buy a good quality non-OEM pot and piston for an 076, 070 or 090 you can't get one for the 084/088, so it's genuine every time which makes them more expensive to run for milling on average. Don't forget, this is running the saw hard for whole days, as compared to getting it out for the big fell/ringing up every now and again, so it gets a lot more wear.

Conveniently, the bar mount pattern is interchangeable across all the big (100cc+) Stihl models, even the Contra.

Alec

This I think is the problem - it's the unavailability of the handful of parts which aren't interchangeable, most notably the coil. Also, for some reason which I'm not sure of, despite the fact that you can buy a good quality non-OEM pot and piston for an 076, 070 or 090 you can't get one for the 084/088, so it's genuine every time which makes them more expensive to run for milling on average. Don't forget, this is running the saw hard for whole days, as compared to getting it out for the big fell/ringing up every now and again, so it gets a lot more wear.

Conveniently, the bar mount pattern is interchangeable across all the big (100cc+) Stihl models, even the Contra.

Alec

What mount pattern is the 066, as I know the 051 has the larger pattern, being the same 1111 crank casing, and the contra is exactly the same as the 070/090 as it's an 1106 crank.

What mount pattern is the 066, as I know the 051 has the larger pattern, being the same 1111 crank casing, and the contra is exactly the same as the 070/090 as it's an 1106 crank.

Yes, I'd forgotten the 050 and 051. The 066 and 064 are on the smaller mount that fits the 024 and up. Not sure my 026 would like a 36" bar though...

Alec

The 3120 tends to be over shadowed as as saw also, with a tendency over the previous years for arbs to use stihl equipment, now the balance is tipping in huskys favour you might hear the 3120 is favoured, with it feeling lighter (to me).

thanks to everybody for all the posts

that is interesting i didnt realise the 084 had a short production run it just goes to show how important everybodies veiws are when you are looking to buy something

the husky 3120 it has been in production several years now so hopefully replacement parts arent going to be a problem ,and also another advantage withe 3120 is i can use a 3/8 bar and milling chain on the smaller softwoods