ODTS Poisioned from woodchips

Tree:Tment

"ages away" is never as far away as it seems.:001_rolleyes:

I suspect some may be more susceptible to breathing problems due to maybe asthma, or recurring lung infections, than others. One exposure to spores on rare occasion may not prove to be a risk, yet repeated exposure may cause serious problems. What is most important is knowing and understanding the risks, so action can be taken, so staff can be educated, and risk management can take place.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An FFP3 respirator is advisable if you are exposed to high levels of grain dust or mould spores. Even if you have this information, finding a suitable respirator is not simply a matter of choosing a model you like the look of, or the cheapest. Not all faces are the same and neither are disposable respirators. You might need to try different makes or sizes to find one that fits without leaking around the seal and letting dust in. A respirator that depends on face fit is useless if you have a beard or thick beard stubble. The only way you can know if the seal is good enough is by having a proper respirator fit test. At present this is also the only way of meeting legal requirements. The respirator manufacturer’s helpline, testing companies and reputable suppliers will be able to advise you.

found on HSE site for masks. will find out about the FFP3 ones and put a link up on them.

This is a serious thread making us aware of the dangers to the most important part of our life, our health. Thanks for posting.

May be its been affecting people for a long time as in the information below it says that it is similar to flu, cold etc

“Its occurrence among farmers is estimated at around 6-8%. However, as many as 30% of swine confinement and grain workers may be affected because of their exposure to high levels of organic dust. ODTS is probably under-reported because symptoms resemble the flu or other mild illnesses. It also has a strong resemblance to an acute episode of the much rarer, but more serious disease known as Farmer's Lung, or hypersensitivity pneumonitis. However, careful medical examination shows these to be very different diseases. ODTS is mild and short-lived, although it may recur. If more than one person is exposed to the same high levels of decayed material, they may suffer ODTS together. Farmer's lung, on the other hand, is an allergic inflammation of the lungs. The rare individual who develops this disease has had prior exposure causing sensitization to mold. This disease may become chronic, disabling and life threatening. Thus, it is important to be able to distinguish these illnesses.” Reference: Occupational Medicine -- AgEBB

Should we work with a mask all the time when chipping?

Should we wear a mask when carrying out chainsaw work that produces wood chip ?

Should we wear a mask generally when working with dusts ?

This definitely an area that’s needs research because it’s a serious issue that effects us all.

Once again thank you for this thread.

PS lets not go of topic this it an imporatant thread.

I met an Iosh/ H & S guy at an Arb Ass event and he was horrified when I told him about my customer who ended up in intensive care after shovelling 2-3 week old chip in her garden, and has been ill for several months with severe fungal infection in lungs.

I was unaware of this even before I got into tree work myself have always had the odd load dropped to me by local arbs for my chickens and kids park ect over the years I have shovelled tons of the stuff but have always been very carefull when I see the dust rising from chip you just know thats nasty stuff full of spores .Well done to the original poster for telling people I will certainly make sure I am carefull in the future when working around chip thats breaking down

Tree:Tment thanks again for bringing this up (I have had the benefit of reading of it elsewhere). In post #49 you bring up ‘hypersensitive’ and then it is referred to a number of times after that. After all the common sense things that one could use, like dust masks, avoiding heavy moldy concentrations when possible etc., there is another thing that comes into play.

Our bodies can take an energetic ‘set’ for various reasons. One of those reasons is if we have had a big negative experience around something (such as a debilitating sickness). The next time we are exposed to even a small amount of same we can react to it in an out of proportion way. A synonym for this is ‘allergic’. If you want to clear ‘hypersensitivity’ or ‘allergies’ to anything, look into N.A.E.T. Nambudripads (sp) Allergy Elimination Technique.

Also have you noticed that if you chip into the back of a truck in a light mist/rain and leave it for a day or so the chip pile will grow an inordinate amount of mold? I stuck my hand into the steaming pile I dumped out one time and was surprised I could not hold my hand there it was so hot. A short time latter I heard of a chip truck spontaneously combusting and burning to the ground. Fixed it for me, I dump same day I chip in the rain just in case.

• 2 months later...

Hi all, i,ve just had a bout of ODTS, Doc said i had a chest infection so put me on antibiotics, finished them now but still not 100%. We have been and purchased 5 masks this morning 1 each and a couple of spares. My sister has had chips off me before for her chickens and it effects them to when chips are fresh. I have always been very carefull chip dust (spores) when tipping loads etc but now making sure we are all safe. Just a secoundary point, should we go back to burning??

And hey climb safe out there.