ODTS Poisioned from woodchips

Tree:Tment

I dont know if anybody noticed but when Tree;Tment started this thread it was his first post on here, and after replies like mr stockbridge has put on i wouldnt be suprised if he doesnt post again, the guy came on here to warn us about a health risk from something that most of us work with everyday, so if people have'nt got something constructive to post dont bother.

Well said :thumbup1:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may have said this recently somewhere else, but a customer of ours, ended up in an ambulance / intensive care after breathing fungal spores whilst moving wood chip around garden, still ill now... need to warn about this, maybe advise wearing a dust mask?

This is not something I would consider normally. I am well versed in asbestos but a harmless natural organic material like chip ? . I have just bought a large 35hp chipper shredder for use around my garden so appreciate the heads up maybe this should be a sticky.

Ok. Got a couple of questions if anyone can answer them for me.

One is the sick feeling. I have been feeling sick almost constantly for a while now. Been to docs and they don't know what it could be. Just got me trying different things like food stuffs etc. never been physically sick from it (except for on the lifeboat) even had endoscope. So what is the sick feeling.

Second is the aching bones. I do get aching bones and joints. Used to just be the wrists that I put down to using the chainsaws and brash dragging. But now its my neck, this really hurts. To the point I want to cry. My shoulder and kness hurt aswell.

I have shovelled chip before, and it ha s been old chip that just spews out dust, also the heat from the chip just makes you sweat.

Or am I just getting too old at 28? And need to man up? :lol:

Think I will use a mask form now on. Used to clean grain stores every year and I know the dangers of farmers lung.

So is health and safety on too of this or do they to know yet?

And if chip is left on site for the customer to deal with as they want it for there garden etc, if they leave it too long and get ill will there be a comeback to the arb? Do they need warning of the dangers, will it turn into leaving a disclaimer that the customer has to sign saying if they get ill from to moving the chip or wearing a mask its down to them. (I only ask this as the way this country is going with sue anyone for anything day and age)

The spores must be active most at a certain stage. Otherwise people would be dropping like flies as the walk through woodlands ect. These big recycling centres must be on top of these problems and have systems in place to deal with it. The other thing to watch out for around grains stores and water is weals disease very similar symptoms.

And if chip is left on site for the customer to deal with as they want it for there garden etc, if they leave it too long and get ill will there be a comeback to the arb? Do they need warning of the dangers, will it turn into leaving a disclaimer that the customer has to sign saying if they get ill from to moving the chip or wearing a mask its down to them. (I only ask this as the way this country is going with sue anyone for anything day and age)

good question, wood need to advise client for sure.

been doing it myself lately, old chip very spore bound getting facefulls!

knew it wasnt good to breath the spores and tried to not breath in while shoveling, and have had a tight chest of late just thought i was smoking too much:blushing:

This is not something I would consider normally. I am well versed in asbestos but a harmless natural organic material like chip ? . I have just bought a large 35hp chipper shredder for use around my garden so appreciate the heads up maybe this should be a sticky.

I am inclined to agree, in a condensed format it might well be worth considering.

I have shovelled old chip about, turned my heaps with my digger,etc. so far no real problems, but good straightforward info on the subject could be a good thing imo.

Also a thank you to the op.:thumbup1:

One is the sick feeling. I have been feeling sick almost constantly for a while now. Been to docs and they don't know what it could be. Just got me trying different things like food stuffs etc. never been physically sick from it (except for on the lifeboat) even had endoscope. So what is the sick feeling.

Second is the aching bones. I do get aching bones and joints. Used to just be the wrists that I put down to using the chainsaws and brash dragging. But now its my neck, this really hurts. To the point I want to cry. My shoulder and kness hurt aswell.

I have shovelled chip before, and it ha s been old chip that just spews out dust, also the heat from the chip just makes you sweat.

Or am I just getting too old at 28? And need to man up? :lol:

Think I will use a mask form now on. Used to clean grain stores every year and I know the dangers of farmers lung.

If you do track down what it is causing you to feel like this let me know as i have had exactly the same symptoms[dam spell check] and i have lost weight with it as well. Not been by any old chip this year.