Ram rating of hydraulic splitters

njc110381

Hey guys. Now I've got my pto saw sorted and paid for I'm looking towards a hydraulic log splitter. I'm a bit confused by the various ton ratings though. I have a small compact tractor which I think should run a ten ton ram, but is that big enough? I usually get by with a maul but I also get rounds that are a challenge and sometimes need wedges. Would a ten ton split that sort of thing or do I need bigger? I'm worried about ram speed with the flow rate of my little machine.:confused1:

Any pump will run any ram, some quicker some slower.

The force exerted by the ram (on the outward stroke) will be a function of the internal diameter and the pressure of the oil.

The speed will be a function of the internal diameter and the flow

If the internal pump on the compact isn't man enough for the job consider a PTO mounted pump.

The last lot I did was larch, around 2' diameter and 15" long. I struggled with the axe, most pieces needing two or three hits to get a piece off of them even working with the rings in the wood and not going straight through the middle. I guess it's all the little knots from all the branches around it?

The make I'm looking at do a 10, 14 and 18 ton. The other thing to consider is that I still really want to buy an old Unimog, so in the future I will have more than enough flow rate to run all but the biggest kit. If I use a PTO pump, I assume all I'll need is the pump itself and some kind of oil tank? Can you buy that as a complete kit or would I need to put it together myself?