sub £200 firewood

dansound

Might be getting a refund on dodgy saw i bought, so might be back on the market for something under £200

I know £200 does not get me a new pro saw, but will it get anything decent?

I'll only be "logging" about 10tonnes a year.

here is a pic of the stuff i will be cutting - this is what it looks like before i've processed, so still needs a bit of work

Opinions on what to get new

Opinions on what to get second hand

thanks!

photo.jpg.1186189c77606fa4c41b85f24384a00e.jpg

Speak to Spudulike on here. He may have something on the shelf worth having. Sorted me a fine old Husky for rough jobs for less than your budget. Other secondhand saw purveyors are available of course. I'd not recommend Makita personally, for saws. Avoid Evilbay too, IMO. :thumbup1:

Sorry to hear the Makita didn't work out for you Danny.

I'd avoid the MS181 personally - I had one as a first saw, which seemed OK at the time. I then bought one again some years later and was staggered how slow and gutless it was. Additionally, Stihl non-pro saws never seem to oil well.

I'd possibly try to push your budget up a touch - the Tanaka I have is pretty solid at £320 and has a 7 year domestic guarantee.

Jonathan

Breaking with the above opinion slightly, I might go looking at a secondhand Stihl 038. They're solidly built and parts are plentiful and cheap, and it will chew through stuff like this at speed. They're not really pro, more 'farmer' due to power to weight being a bit worse, but this wouldn't be a problem if you're not using it all day every day. Alternatively, the 036 and 034 are, in my opinion, underrated for this and often make a lot less money than they should (I've seen a scruffy but fully working 036 make under £60!). Both can be had within your budget.

I am less anti-ebay than most, so long as you buy with your eyes open. I would buy 'cash on collection', and if it claims it's a runner, test it before handing over the cash. Any genuine seller should be happy with this. I would then plan on getting it to someone who can a do pressure, vacuum and compression test on it, and give it a service. Assuming all is good bar a few service parts you'll have something that shouldn't be as frustrating and temperamental as many other more modern saws seem to be.

Alec